No safe mode, no disk defrag, too much chkdsk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wiz40

I had to have the computer reformatted a few months ago, and now when I click on F8, I cannot enter safe mode. Nonetheless, I cannot also access system restore points, even though the computer shows available dates and points and what was accomplished on the date.

Without the files on the CD, (that were reinstituted from a Dell Win XP Home disk), I cannot add/ remove Windows options like Networking and Performance Tools and some other things.

Also, Disk Defrag does not work and CHKDSK alternatively boots up first sometimes yes (with a full disk check on C); and sometimes no (saying that CHKDSK is not set in Scheduled Tasks.) I originally had the problem when I tried to defrag or chkdsk the external hard drive that is usually always connected.

I have a lot of files I do not want to risk losing (saved a lot of C:/ to the external hard drive), but want to chkdsk and defrag all drives. I downloaded a third party program to defrag that works, but prefer Windows to the bloat. What to do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online