No "Safely Remove Hardware" tray icon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wrinklysteve

When I plug in a USB memory stick, my camera or an external hard drive, I get no tray icon (green arrow): the first two items I can 'eject' but I don't even get that option for the hard drive. However, when I loaded software and downloaded pictures from a phone for a friend, the icon and removal option appeared.
Can anyone explain this please and suggest a cure? It's no big deal but a touch inconvenient.
TIA.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Do this:
start > run ... now copy/paste the following and press OK

RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

The icon will come up. Sometimes it stays, sometimes you have lost it again on a reboot.

wrinklysteve

davehc said:
Do this:
start > run ... now copy/paste the following and press OK

RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

The icon will come up. Sometimes it stays, sometimes you have lost it again on a reboot.
Thank you Davehc, I'll give it a try.

wrinklysteve

wrinklysteve said:
Thank you Davehc, I'll give it a try.
Yes, it works, thanks, brings up the necessary but as you suggested it is lost on reboot. Is there any safe way to put it in permanently?
Regards

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
I think the problem is that the OS is not recognising the usb devices. As this is unlikely, in three separate cases, the finger points to a problem with the usb sockets. If you do not have a motherboard CD with the drivers on it, on thing you could try is to go to the usb configuration in the Device manager. Right click and update the drivers. Allow the search to include an internet search.

wrinklysteve

davehc said:
I think the problem is that the OS is not recognising the usb devices. As this is unlikely, in three separate cases, the finger points to a problem with the usb sockets. If you do not have a motherboard CD with the drivers on it, on thing you could try is to go to the usb configuration in the Device manager. Right click and update the drivers. Allow the search to include an internet search.
Thank you. I will look into that and report back.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online