1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No SafeMode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richocki, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

I press F8 to boot into safe mode and get the screen asking what I want to do - Normal Boot, Safe Mode, Last good 'something'? ect... but I can not use the arrow keys to make a selection. It seems like the keyboard is not being read. As a result I can not boot to Safe Mode. Any Ideas?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What kind of keyboard do you have? How is it attached to the computer?

3. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

It's a Compaq USB keyboard but it's NOT a Compaq computer. I don't remember why I
    hooked up this keyboard. Could that be it I wonder.

4. andy4u

andy4u

go to bios and load defaults. this will fix the problem

5. tallonx

tallonx

I don't know if this will help, but let it load normaly, and then while it's loading (windows) restart your computer, then it will automatically boot you into safe mode next time you start.. I think :p

6. nruhlig

nruhlig

Try hitting the start buton, then run, type in "msconfig" into the run panel and hit enter. Click the boot.ini tab and check the SAFEBOOT box and hit ok. This should give you a message informing you that you will need to restart before the changes take effect. Let you pc reboot and you will be in safe mode. When you are finished in safe mode just type msconfig into the run panel again and check the normal startup option and reboot again.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You may need to get a PS/2 keyboard so you can get into the BIOS and enable legacy USB support.

8. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

I have a small application ( SafeBoot http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html ) that when run ask if you want to boot normal, in safe mode, safe mode networking, or safe mode directory services repair on next boot. My problem is when XP crashes or it freezes on boot at a certain point after the safe mode selection time I can not use safe mode due to my problem. Another words the fixes suggested by tallonx and nruhlig do not help when I need safe mode.

If I use the default BIOS settings will that mess up anything that was changed due to an installation?

Not sure why or even when I put the Compaq keyboard on here but the computer came with a PS2 keyboard. I'll have to hunt it down and give it a try - unless my wild gaming destroyed the it :)

Thanks all I'll let you know how it works out.

9. nruhlig

nruhlig

You could try getting a usb to ps/2 adapter for your usb keyboard...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice