1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No screen image after cleaning keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrymorgan, Apr 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. terrymorgan

terrymorgan Thread Starter

I had clicked on Shut Down on my Dell desktop PC so that I could clean the Logitech keyboard....just dust and grime, no spills. When cleaning I suddenly realized that my screen said it was installing updates and not to shut down. I'm afraid that I thought I was doing more damage by cleaning random keys, function buttons, etc. than shutting down, so I manually shut down. Finished cleaning. Turned on PC and no display on screen! Power light is on, small indicator that the hard drive was busy, then power light started blinking. I pulled the power cord on the flat screen monitor [Acer] and reconnected after waiting for 30 seconds. Screen flashed brand name and went blank again. Did I press a control on the keyboard to disconnect screen display?

PS: PC and monitor are just a few years old. Keyboard is sophisticated but much older. Cleaned with a barely moist electronic wipe.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. RT

RT

Hello terrymorgan, welcome to TSG!

I don't know of any one key stroke that would disable a display, but it seems you were cleaning with the system powered up so you might have accidentally hit a random sequence of keys...
    always a good idea to clean with the PC powered down.

For now I would try turning everything off and carefully disconnect the monitor from the PC, wait a few minutes, and with the monitor still disconnected, power the PC on again.
    Wait a few more minutes, power down yet again and reconnect the display, then power up.
    This might "trick" the machine into thinking you'd just installed a new monitor and will auto detect it.

If that doesn't help, it might be useful to give us your full make and model of you monitor, keyboard, OS and PC.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  3. terrymorgan

Almost worked. At least the screen said resuming windows then went blank again.

PC is Dell Optiplex 7080
    Monitor is Acer LCD S230HL
    Keyboard is Logitech Y-RR54 [says RT7R33 under that]
    OS is unfortunately Windows 7 [my husband prefers it and its his PC]

4. terrymorgan

Unfortunately my laptop, Dell Inspiron Ultrabook has no connection possibilities for me to check with any cross wiring....or at least I don't have the proper connection cables to do that.

5. terrymorgan

Why wouldn't I want to disconnect keyboard as a test?

6. RT

RT

Certainly there'd be no harm in doing that, nor trying a different keyboard or monitor if possible.

7. RT

RT

Also, look at the back of the Dell system when trying to boot up.
    There are LED lights that serve as a diagnostic clue, blinking in a certain sequence. and the system might give a specific beep sequence as well.
    One thing you did mention in your first post was that the power light was blinking, so that could be helpful.
    Was just looking here and should have asked before, but those lights do give a clue.
    Are you able to see a pattern in the lights or beeps?

8. terrymorgan

It can't be the monitor. It displays brand when started and on last test, it displayed proper color graphics for the brief moment that "Resuming Windows" popped up. So it's either the hard drive or a command/function of the keyboard. Why shouldn't I try rebooting in the safe mode and see if monitor displays? Remind me of the function key for prompting that when I reboot. Can't hurt. I don't have another monitor or keyboard.

9. terrymorgan

Bit the bullet and took it in for service. All that rebooting can unstructure an increasingly fagile hard drive. Worth the modest cost and all's well. Not the keyboard for sure. Shutting down while it was doing updates was the major no-no.

10. RT

RT

Agreed there, but say if you had a power outage during that time, you still would have a problem beyond your control (it has happened to me.)
    I have done a boot into Safe Mode while blind once or twice with Win7, but it's been long enough I've forgotten the steps.

But glad to hear you've got it fixed!
    Thanks for posting your solution.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice