1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Screen no post Beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crazyboi1, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crazyboi1

crazyboi1 Thread Starter

hi, im looking at a pc for a friend its a CCTV video server and so has raid drives and bnc cards, apart form that it looks fairly normal. however he brought it over because he cant get any display on it. The machine switches on and all fans are running cpu and PSU are running, but theres no system beep. Ive removed everything so its just the barebones but theres still nothing. Im all out of ideas and tests to run help Please !!!

2. Sponsor

3. brite750

brite750

psu is my 1st guess, it can run but still not post

cant test until you get it to post

4. crazyboi1

crazyboi1 Thread Starter

Well i that but the motherboard is receiving power as is all the peripherals and the fan is spinning up with a lack of burning smell

5. Darth_Denz

Darth_Denz

When you took out everything connected to the board & tried to power it back on, you said that there was no beep? Normally if there's no RAM present, it will give out beep codes. If there are no beeps, it may be a RAM issue since you said that the fans are spinning.

6. crazyboi1

crazyboi1 Thread Starter

Sorry i havent switched it on with the Ram taken out i will do that now.

7. brite750

brite750

meaningless, PSU can be bad, and you will get no post but everything lit and running, can be bad voltage regualator not letting your pc post

happened many a time to me, put a new or working psu in and it fires right up, not every psu failure is a catrophic one with sparks, and smoke

8. brite750

brite750

bad ram would give you some error beeps

9. crazyboi1

crazyboi1 Thread Starter

have taken the ram out and there was still no bleep ive also changed power supplies to no avail. This is one tricky problem

10. brite750

brite750

well I guess one thing to chesk is if you have the case speaker plugged in, also might want to reset the bios

11. crazyboi1

crazyboi1 Thread Starter

yer ive removed the battery and put it back in and ive tested that the speaker is plugged in

12. Wino

Wino

Had identical problem recently on friends 838GM Gateway.......no beeps, no video, no post, everything running. This happened about 10 days after installing 2 - 512MB DDR RAM along with original 512MB. Had him remove new RAM sticks and unit booted right up with a disk scan for improper shut down. Reinstalled the two RAM sticks and 7-10 days later, same problem repeated. Have since replaced the two RAM with two others (same brand & specs) with no further problems for last two months or so. Returned bad RAM to Corsair for replacement.

13. brite750

brite750

well i guess this is going to be a bugger, run memtest to see if ram is alright, should run it for at least a couple of hours per stick, you may have to use another pc for this if this pc doesnt run, pc should give you warning beeps though, so i dont get that.

14. Darth_Denz

Darth_Denz

if the previous PSU's & RAM work on other pc's, then it may be a motherboard issue.

15. crazyboi1

crazyboi1 Thread Starter

yer i agree i think all thats left is the mobo but theres no burnt or damaged looking parts. Very odd

16. crazyboi1

crazyboi1 Thread Starter

Problem solved the CPU is burnt out, theres a distinct lack of heatisink compound

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528163