1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No setup data for hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nigel1969, Dec 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nigel1969

nigel1969 Thread Starter

I have a P-233 with a master and slave hard drive that both have lost their bios info. When I boot the pc I get the message 'your master/slave hard drives have failed'. I hit DEL to enter the setup program and found that 'None' is entered under 'TYPE' for the Primary Master and Primary slave.

I opened the computer's case and examined the hard drive for the missing info and found the following:

C2247 001 592 77 3237 D15

How can I tell which numbers go where in the setup program under the following headings:

TYPE SIZE CYLS HEAD PRECOMP LANDZ SECTOR MODE

I am assuming that I'm thinking along the correct lines about solving the problem.

2. brianF

brianF

First did your cmos battery die, replace it if your not sure

Second, sorry to say not much help but every hit I get refers to that drive as a scsi. I know squat about scsi.

3. nigel1969

nigel1969 Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brianF:
    First did your cmos battery die, replace it if your not sure

Second, sorry to say not much help but every hit I get refers to that drive as a scsi. I know squat about scsi.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the CMOS battery died. How can I be sure?

There are 2 drives and they both are IDE drives.

4. Chum

Chum

I know this may sound too simple, but did you try auto detect in BIOS?

5. nigel1969

nigel1969 Thread Starter

When I set the type to 'AUTO' I don't get the two messages that say the master and slave hard drives failed. Instead, it displays "CDROM VDMA 2" for the Primary Master Disk and "NONE" for the slave. It then hangs on the following error:
    "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter."

6. LarryCore

LarryCore

Sounds to me like one of the drives has gone bad.

How about setting up just one of them as a standalone drive (via the jumpers on the drive) and set BIOS to auto. If it works, try the other.

Note - if the slave is the one working it won't boot, as the master is your boot drive - but you won't get a drive error. You should probably boot from floppy during this testing - when you get to A prompt type C: then DIR to see if it is working.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

7. nigel1969

nigel1969 Thread Starter

I've tried one drive at a time...still doesn't work. Additional info:the drives are connected to a SCSI controller that is in an ISA slot on the motherboard. When the system is booted, it counts the memory then displays the following:

Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
    Copyright 1990, Award Software, Inc.
    Detecting IDE Primary Master.... ATAPI CD ROM
    Detecting IDE Primary Slave.....None
    Storage Dimensions 16-bit AT bus SCSI Host Adapter Version 3.12

The system then hangs-up.

Do I need a SCSI boot disk?

8. LarryCore

LarryCore

Somehow I missed that these were SCSI drives.

SCSI controllers detect hard drives by themselves - the BIOS has nothing to do with it. SCSI drives do not have master/slave settings either - they are numbered - 0 through 6.

The other thing a SCSI drive needs is termination. Can you see any jumpers on the drives that are labeled? Maybe one that says TERM?

How about brand and model on those drives? We may be able to find the jumper settings on the net somewhere.

As for a SCSI boot disk - no such thing. A standard boot disk works on IDE or SCSI hard drives.

You system is locking while trying to detect the hard drives - this means either a SCSI card problem, a SCSI cable problem, or a problem with the drives.

Do you know anyone else with a SCSI controller who would let you test the drives?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice