1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sharing optiopn under right click menu

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jscerb, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jscerb

jscerb Thread Starter

I have 3 computers hooked up to a linksys router. One running xp home, another ME, and the problem computer has 98 (i think se, but dont think it matters).

The xp and me machine can share and receive files fine. The 98 computer can veiw files on the other 2 machines, but it cant share its own. File and printer sharing is enabled under network properties. Also, when I right click on a folder, there is no sharing option, nor is there a sharing tab under the properties menu. :confused: Where did they go??

Thanks,

Scerb

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you logging on via logon name and password?

BTW, I'm going to remove your other thread ;)

3. ~Candy~

Also, can the other computers 'see' the 98 computer on the network?

4. jscerb

jscerb Thread Starter

I can ping the 98 comp, but when I do a search for it, I cant find it. Probably because I cant share anything...

What do you mean am I logging on via logon name and pwrd?? I log onto the computer, but you do not need to log onto the network.

Thanks,

Scerb

5. ~Candy~

Yes, on 98 computers, you DO need to log onto the network.

6. jscerb

jscerb Thread Starter

First of all, how would this affect my right click menues?

Second, how do you go about logging onto the network in win98? The computer can access the internet and other computers, I jsut cant set it to share its own files. I think my network is perfectly fine, its jsut some hidden file sharing setting im missing in windows.... which is why I put this post in the windows forum too.

Thanks,

Scerb

7. smithmdan

smithmdan

Check to see if the vserver.vxd file is in the windows\system folder.

If it is missing or corrupted you will not get the sharing option.

8. ~Candy~

You can extract another copy via start, run, SFC and choose just that one file.

You might also try this:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click Network.
    On the Configuration tab, click File And Print Sharing, and then click the "I want to be able to give others access to my files" and "I want to be able to give other access to my printer(s)" check boxes to clear them.
    Click OK, click OK again, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.
    Repeat steps 1-4, clicking the "I want to be able to give others access to my files" and "I want to be able to give other access to my printer(s)" check boxes to select them in step 3.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194990

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice