1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No 'sharing & security' option for drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Flying Dufus, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Dufus

Flying Dufus Thread Starter

I have three desktops networked (two in office and one my Son's) plus two laptops - all running XP Home. On the desktops I have 'sharing' enabled for each of the drives (4 No. on each) which gives me full access between them - no problems. Similarly, no access problems with my Son's laptop.
    My laptop can also fully access the others, but it does not give me the "sharing and security" menu option for the drives themselves - only for the directories within them. So to access my laptop, I have to enable sharing for each of the individual root directories, which gives me a horendous number of 'Network Places'!!
    There are no access restrictions set up and the fact that I can access the individual 'shared' directories on my laptop indicates that there is no configuration problem. I installed XP on two desktops - the installation on the third and on the two laptops is as the manufacturers - all have Service pack 1 update.
    Does anyone have any idea as to how I can enable the sharing option for the drives themselves ??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice