1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No signal but pc is running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Earthomon, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Earthomon

Earthomon Thread Starter

I recently added a new hard drive to my pc and while it was open I decided to clean it out with comopressed air and also I added a shock protector that I never got around to adding.
    Since then when I turn on my pc, it lights up like normal and the fans spin and everything, but the monitor says no signal detected. I’ve tried hdmi and dvi and neither work. Also I hooked up a laptop using the same hdmi cable and monitor and it worked. Can anyone help me?

EDIT
    I have tried connecting the hdmi directly to the motherboard and both slots on my gpu.
    Motherboard is asus b350-plus
    Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3g

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Earthomon, and welcome to TSG.

I don't think anyone here will be able to assist you based on the very limited amount of information you have given.

1) Please tell us the manufacturer and full model number of the computer and/or the motherboard.

2) If you are using a video controller expansion card, then tell us the name of the manufacturer and full model number of the video controller card (not the manufacturer and model number of the video controller IC on the board)

Based on that information, someone here may require more information.

a) If you are using a video controller expansion card, have you made sure that you are connecting the monitor to the card and not to any built-in controller on the motherboard? Have you made sure the card is still fully plugged into the motherboard? If the card needs a separate direct connection from the power supply, have you made sure that cable is firmly attached.

EDIT:
    b) If the new hard drive is an addition to the existing system, have you tried booting up the computer with the drive fully disconnected (power and data)?

3. Earthomon

Earthomon Thread Starter

1: the motherboard is a asus prime b350-plus, I don’t know which one is the model number but the image attached might be it.
    2+2a: not using a video controller expansion card
    B) Yes I have disconnected the new hard drive entirely

Attached Files:

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does that particular motherboard have a speaker for beep codes on power-up? If so, are you getting any beeps?

EDIT: Are you overclocking?

5. Earthomon

Earthomon Thread Starter

No speaker for beep codes

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the link below is for the manual for your specific ASUS motherboard, then it has a system warning speaker output on the front panel audio header (page 1-4). If your case has a small built in speaker connect it tot he correct audio header pins. Otherwise any old small unamplified speaker will temporarily do for testing. The beep pattern from the speaker will allow you to confirm that the motherboard is passing its built in self test on power up or how it is failing.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...E13723_PRIME_B350-PLUS_UM_V3_WEB_20171114.pdf

7. Earthomon

Earthomon Thread Starter

image.jpg image.jpg Does the speaker have to be one that connects directly to the motherboard? Cuz my case doesn’t have one and I don’t have one lying around.

EDIT: I found some speakers from a friend and I don’t know if these are the kind of speakers that will beep. If so I turned on the pc and there was no sound at all coming from the speakers. Also these are working because when I mess with the green wire there is a deep noise that comes out

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, just because the motherboard has a video output, does not mean it is going to work. That motherboard supports a large number of processors and only some of them have video. If you have a high performance ryzen processor, it has no video and of course nothing would be displayed. Some of the VERY high end ryzen boards do not even have an onboard port since anyone paying that much for a motherboard would not use onboard video.

The speaker you need is one like this pic. These connect directly to the motherboard.
    Next it would help if you posted the exact processor you are using.
    Exactly how did you clean out the system ie did you use a can of compressed air or did you use something like an air compressor? If it was the latter, it is very possible to break parts using an air compressor.

Attached Files:

cwwozniak likes this.
  9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is the system in question the one in the photo with the blue glow behind the fan? If so, I looks like you have a video controller card with a DVI output plugged into the motherboard. The motherboard's onboard video probably disables itself to allow the use of the card.

10. Earthomon

Earthomon Thread Starter

I have a Ryven i
    So I talked to a guy I know who is going to college for this and I took my gpu and put it into a different computer and it worked perfectly. He said it’s prob the motherboard and after hearing everything I did he said to use my warranty to try to get a replacement. I was a little rough on the motherboard while cleaning it so it makes sense. Thanks for the help but ima just buy a new one.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In the future, use a can of air to clean the system.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    In the future also be more accurate when describing your problem and hardware setup. Your photo clearly shows a video controller expansion card being used. Yet, when I asked if you were using such a card, you said:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice