1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No signal crash, sound loop, occasional blue screen.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ku_ku, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ku_ku

Ku_ku Thread Starter

*Curls up in a little corner and cries*

This is day three of my troubleshooting for a crash problem i've been having. It started about two weeks ago while playing dragons age origins, I would reach a cut scene anywhere from 15mins to 2 hours into the game and my monitor would suddenly loose signal. Most of the time I could hear the ingame music running just fine but occasionally it would loop and stutter too. Since DAO has notable compatibility issues with windows 7 64 and everything else ran just dandy I spent a day trying the following:

Updating my graphics drivers
    Downgrading my graphics drivers
    Updating my sound drivers
    Disabling my sound all together
    Playing on the lowest graphic settings possible
    Assigning DAO one core
    Disabling my anti-virius
    Running as administrator
    Running in xp-combatiblity mode
    Installing the patch (1.03)
    Running in windowed mode

None of which worked. In fact it all created a new problem: An inablity to restart, if i shut down and manually boot back up again everything is fine but most (read: not all) restarts either manually or via desktop fail sometimes with a memory dump bsod, sometimes just getting to a blackscreen.

So I completed two startup repairs and then restored to a point 7 days prior to any of my tinkering. It all seemed fine so I phoned home and begged a copy of xp to be posted to me so I could partition the HDD and play DAO that way instead.

In the meantime I downloaded and began to play perfect world international and began seeing the same problem. Sometimes it runs just fine for a few hours sometimes it goes on the loading screen. Bleh.. thinks I maybe its not a Windows problem at all.. especially as the start up issue reappeared too...

Since most of the bsod's seem to be memory dumps my first port of call was to fiddle with me ram sticks. Now I made a rookie mistake when I built this rig and accidentaly have 4G DDR2-800 ram instead of 667. Initially this did cause problems but its all been fine since I put in a pair of 1G 667 ram to help the clockdown. So anyway I have now tried:

Removing all the DDR2-800 ram
    Removing all the DDR-667 ram
    Removing all ram apart from 1 DDR-667 stick
    Flashing the Bios
    Updating mobo drivers
    Disabling Aero profile
    Disabling all un-necessary programmes and processes
    Moving my monitor connection from second port of graphics card into the first port.
    Removing the case cover to get more airflow (nothing appears to be very hot)
    Running in safe mode (yes, everything seemed to work ok but then as graphics card drivers don't work I couldn't test the programmes I knew were making it crash :p)
    Checking all connections on the mobo
    Using a normal USB mouse and keyboard
    Using an old Asus 15inch monitor

The PC did not like the mobo flash very much, an area (sorry, my n00bness is showing, i don't really know what) showed up as bad just after the flash happened and the auto-reboot failed. The start up repair screen then had shattered pixels as a background (Que panic attack). After failing to repair (which it does most times) however the PC loaded just fine and has continued to boot and even restart with no trouble.

However the no signal crash has struck again and this time no games were involved. I was literally moving a few files and listening to a track on media player (no visualisation active i don't think) and it went. Also previous to the DAO incident I have been able to play Guild Wars, browser based games and Dungeon Keeper 2 for entire days with no problems on 7. 6 months before hand I was running vista 64 and playing Aion on full with no trouble.

A little while ago I was getting a small issue with my graphics card fan - in that it got very, very loud (like omg... is that my pc or a car outside kinda loud). After a dutiful clean with compressed air (in which all my fans were invited) the problem happens very rarely and the fan is currently working fine.

I have a nice xp 64 disc sat next to me... should I just do a full reformat and pray its a 7 issue? Currently don't have a spare graphics card I can swap out to test but i'm hoping i can borrow one tomorrow

Anymore ideas / tips / advice? My PC knowledge is intermediate... I can build and troubleshoot things but I wouldn't call myself an expert and things like reading memory dump files and bios tinkering will need careful hand holding i'm afraid!

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Quad Q6600 2.40ghz
    Motherboard: MSI P43 Neo-F iP43 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX
    Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz, Corsair 2GB (2x1G) DDR2 677Mhz
    Video card: Nvida 9800GT (1GB)
    Hard drive: Seagate 500GB SATA II 7200rpm
    Power: Arctic Power 700W, +3.3v = 30A, +5v = 38A, +12v1 = 22, +12v2 = 22A, -12v = 0.6A, +5Vsb = 3A
    Antivirus: Avast! Free Edition
    Peripherals: Logitech G11 keyboard, Razor Death Adder Mouse, Samsung Syncmaster P2450H 24-inch Widescreen 1920 x 108

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice