1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Signal message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stephaniesims, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephaniesims

stephaniesims Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP system, and when I turn my computer on I get a no signal on a black screen. I checked to make sure everything was properly plugged in, and it was. Can you please help?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi stephaniesims, and welcome to TSG.

If your monitor has more than one video input connector, are you sure that the correct input is selected for use in the monitor settings?

If your computer has more than one video output connector are you sure you are plugging the monitor's video cable into the right jack?

When you turn on the computer, does it make normal start up sounds like a self test beep, fans running, hard drive spinning, etc. and do the lighst on the keyboard blink on?

Do you even get a momentary display on power up, like the computer manufacturer's logo or boot process?

Can you test the monitor and cable on another computer?

Any chance you can tell us the brands and model numbers of the computer and monitor? Most of us here are not clairvoyant.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!