Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Signal Randomly While Gaming

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Vitalities 
#1 ·
While playing a game my screen will randomly go black, sound will cut out. ( No Signal ) will be displayed on my monitor and no power is fed to my keyboard or mouse or my ethernet input ( no green light ) while this happens until I restart my pc via power button. bear with me im not very tech savvy either :\ Anything information is welcomed! :( :( :( :( :confused:

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Firstly, we need to know what system hardware we are dealing with before we can make any kind of informed response. Please provide the exact make and model of the machine (assuming its a prebuilt machine like a HP, Dell etc)? If it is a self / custom build please provide the exact make and model of motherboard, CPU, graphics card, power supply, RAM, what operating system you are using and is it 32 or 64 bit etc?

If you are unsure, please use the link in my signature to download our system info utility. Save the file to your desktop or anywhere you know where it is then run it. A window will open giving information about your PC, please copy all the information into a reply here.

#3 ·
(Custom Built)- not by myself.
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8169 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, -1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238122 MB, Free - 99105 MB;
Motherboard: ECS, A960M-M3
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

#4 ·
Can you download and install Speccy, found here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy

When you have installed and run the program, go into the 'File' menu and look for the 'Publish Snapshot' option, this upload a profile to the Speccy servers (no license or personal information is included) and provide a link to that profile. Can you post the link in a reply here.

Also, can you have a look at the power supply in the machine to identify the make, model and wattage. There should be a sticker or plate on the side of the power supply (part that the power cable plugs into) that looks something a little the second picture in the link below:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/treasures-trash,1260-18.html

This would be very useful as this could easily be a power related issue, the speccy report will help with this but won't tell us the make, model and wattage of the unit itself.

#5 ·
#12 ·
The requirements from Sapphire are suggesting a 500 watt minimum power supply and yours is a 450 watt unit. Also the Antec 450 watt you are using isn't up to the power demands of a higher end graphics card. It would be fine for a system using onboard graphics for basic everyday use. Seeing as it just powers off while gaming suggests to me that it's the power supply. I myself would run a 550 watt quality psu with your system.

#13 ·
The requirements from Sapphire are suggesting a 500 watt minimum power supply and yours is a 450 watt unit. Also the Antec 450 watt you are using isn't up to the power demands of a higher end graphics card. It would be fine for a system using onboard graphics for basic everyday use. Seeing as it just powers off while gaming suggests to me that it's the power supply. I myself would run a 550 watt quality psu with your system.
Hmm, alrighty well ill probably get a 600w to be safe but im hoping this IS the problem, buying wrong parts sucks lol thank you for your help :D:D

#14 ·
Does it only happen while gaming? When gaming is when your graphics card will draw the most power so that's why I'm leaning towards a failing PSU. That being said don't go out and buy any cheap 600 watt power supply. I never build any systems and throw in a cheap power supply as it is responsible for powering the whole system.

#15 ·
I would tend to agree that the PSU is probably the most likely cause at this stage, unfortunately can't guarantee it though. Having said that, it is probably a good idea to replace the PSU anyway.

I would probably go with a minimum of 550w quality unit from a manufacturer like Corsair (HX, TX and AX Models only), Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ to name a few. Look for a minimum of a 5 year warranty.

Speccy is reading the values for the +12v / +5v rails etc from somewhere so there must be sensors for them, it is just interpretting the sensor output incorrectly. Just to confirm, have you looked through every single page / screen in the BIOS not just ones that you think it might be in? Not saying they are definately in there, but haven't seen a BIOS that doesn't show it in a while but ECS are generally pretty low end boards I believe.

#16 ·
I would tend to agree that the PSU is probably the most likely cause at this stage, unfortunately can't guarantee it though. Having said that, it is probably a good idea to replace the PSU anyway.

I would probably go with a minimum of 550w quality unit from a manufacturer like Corsair (HX, TX and AX Models only), Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ to name a few. Look for a minimum of a 5 year warranty.

Speccy is reading the values for the +12v / +5v rails etc from somewhere so there must be sensors for them, it is just interpretting the sensor output incorrectly. Just to confirm, have you looked through every single page / screen in the BIOS not just ones that you think it might be in? Not saying they are definately in there, but haven't seen a BIOS that doesn't show it in a while but ECS are generally pretty low end boards I believe.
Yea i checked the other pages, aaand yea it was a really cheap board too lol :rolleyes:

#17 ·
I stopped using ECS for builds many years ago as all they did was cause me time and money. I read the manual for your board and there's no such sensor readings. It would be impossible to have a +12v reading that high. Like I said the Antec you are using now would be fine for an office, or basic him use computer that uses onboard video. Believe it or not there's no CPU temperature reading with that board either. :(

#18 ·
I stopped using ECS for builds many years ago as all they did was cause me time and money. I read the manual for your board and there's no such sensor readings. It would be impossible to have a +12v reading that high. Like I said the Antec you are using now would be fine for an office, or basic him use computer that uses onboard video. Believe it or not there's no CPU temperature reading with that board either. :(
yea ill probably replace my board too but if thats not causing the problem then ill just replace the PSU for now :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.