1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No signal to screen!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krhyme, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krhyme

krhyme Thread Starter

I'm going crazy, i'm going to need a heatsink for my head soon. Here it is:

My computer powers on, but there is no signal sent to the screen, there are no beeps on boot up.

I have an onboard video card.

I changed the screen, added a pci video card... None of it works! What should I do???

Please help

2. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi and welcome. Is this a manufactured pc or homebuilt ? If it has onboard video u'll probaly hav to enter the Bios utility to disable the onboard AGP there. Also, change the setting to boot using PCI graphics card. Some older MB's hav jumpers on the Mb that hav to be changed to disable onboard video. Try holdin down the del key as the PC is attempting to boot to enter bios.
    There could be other problems that is ur cause, but u'll hav to open up ur pc. Do any of ur disk drv lights come on ? Does the pwr indicator light up ? Is the pwr supply fan turning when u 1st pwr on ? Chk for all these conditions.

Always try the least invasive 1st, especially if you are uncomfortable goin under ur pc's hood.

3. Whitestar

Whitestar

Have u tried changing the monitor signal cable?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Is there a history to this problem? Did the system ever boot up correctly?

5. krhyme

krhyme Thread Starter

Thanks, that was a speedy reply! I'm going to make this forum a regular hangout for me!

-The pc is a compaq.
    -Power indicator light is ON.
    -PWR supply fan is on ( Got a mark on my finger to proove it :) )
    -Where do I check the disk drive light? There is no led anywhere on the HD... Do I check on the MOBO?

Since the problem is the screen signal... I can't get into the Bios to change the default video card to use.

I feel very comfortable stickin my head in my pc, so dont be afraid to make me go there!

I did more than change the signal cable, I tried with a whole new screen! Still doesnt work. And Tried then screen on another computer and the screen/cable is ok.

Thanks again for your help, looking forward to the next step!

6. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--yeah lik Whitestar said although changin the signal cable can be kinda tuff if it is one of those that is usually hardwired into the bak of the monitor. Unless what whitestar mean't was to try changin the Monitor's pwr cable ?
    Also, if u can borrow another's monitor for awhile to swap them out--that would be helpful !

Sorry, posted this befor seeing ur most recent post.

7. Whitestar

Whitestar

Nah. i did actually mean the signal cable. I forgot that on new monitors the cable is hardwired.

8. krhyme

krhyme Thread Starter

I came back from a trip and it doesnt work anymore. It was working great before...

What is my next step?

9. Whitestar

Whitestar

Ok. U said that ur comp doesnt beep when u switch it on. That means that it isnt POSTing. Lets see if we can get it to do that.
    Dissconnect everything exept the processor and ram and then turn on the machine. Does it beep after that?

10. krhyme

krhyme Thread Starter

Ok i unplugged the HD, the CD-ROMS the monitor keyboard, mouse...

Basicly I have only the power cable connected to the power supply, ram and CPU.

No beeps!!

I ever tried removing the ram.

No beeps!

The speaker is connected.

11. Whitestar

Whitestar

Unfortunatly that means the problem is either your processor or your mobo.

You said that you took it on a trip?

12. krhyme

krhyme Thread Starter

No, It was working great last week. I came back from a trip yesterday and thats where i noticed a problem?

Are you sure it has to be either my mobo or cpu? It cant be anything else?

I have a 1.6 GHz P4 CPU here, My compaq is a 2.53 GHz. Can I put the 1.6 GHz in there to test it ot is it not compatible?

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually, I have had no beeps with a bad power supply too. I think I'd check that avenue first. Just because it's coming on, doesn't mean it's putting out enough power to power everything. Could have gotten zapped in a storm, etc.

14. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--I tend to agree with Whitestar that after not posting under the conditions specified that the problem is in all probability either the cpu or the MB. At this point u need to test with another cpu that'll work in that MB to determine that.

Also, as Acacandy says u may not be getting enough voltage to get a Pwr Good Signal in which case the display adapter will not receive the input it needs to output a diplay.

--On the 2.5Ghz in the compaq-- I assume that is a P4 as well ?

If it were me i think I'd try switching out the Pwr Supply 1st if you can get one to put in there for a quik test.

15. Whitestar

Whitestar

Try AcaCandy's idead first.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice