1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No signal to the monitor(s) on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danmirage, Apr 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. danmirage

danmirage Thread Starter

Hello!

I hope someone can help me get back to having the computer connect to the monitor so I can work toward having a functioning computer! Here is the list of nearly everything I have tried thus far. System build at bottom.

(I worry that if it is the mobo, and I replace using these components, that Win 10 may be a problem? I could get something like a WIN 10 compatible GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.x) AM3+ Motherboard...which takes all the build parts...)

Currently I have no signal to the monitors on booting and immediately before that I got a "Reboot and select a proper Boot device" message on the monitor.

My problem:
    After shutting down this system and rebooting I got....
    “Reboot and select a proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key”
    That has not ever happened before.

I rebooted into the BIOS and my boot drive was not there, only the optical.

(unplug everything, discharge power) Swapped the boot and optical cables and reboot to see if it was the cable to the boot drive.
    After reboot that there was no signal to the monitors.
    Put the cables back, reboot - No Change

So now no signal to the monitors is the Primary problem.

HISTORY:
    I have had strange boot issues with this computer on and off since building it. That being, sometimes it does not complete boot. A few restarts and it boots normally. Then I don’t have a problem for 6 months, then have this problem again after a shut down.

BACK TO THE PRESENT
    I checked the monitors (all working on other systems with the cables), unplugged for 5 min, reboot.
    Nothing comes up on monitors (have tried multiple (3) monitors/cables that work on other systems).
    My lighted Keyboard and mouse appear to not be getting active power now...? Though if I click the mouse, it briefly lights. Put them in another system, they light normally.
    Unplug everything peripheral and reboot. Reconnect the mouse and keyboard with a single monitor. Reboot. No change.

Board has power (light) and all attached to board power up (fans, GPU, HDD, DVD, fan on power is spinning, etc)
    Cannot say if there are beeps on startup as, sadly, the system sound is not attached, and I lost it… so I am getting one Monday. Along with a POST test card.

What I have tried:
    PC has fully power cycled
    Discharging the power by holding down the power button
    Move boot drive SATA to different SATA slot – N/C (I think it was in 2 and have tried slot 1,2+3)
    Boot drive is spinning, but initially, I think it was not spinning…
    Reseat everything on mobo – N/C
    New CMOS battery – N/C
    Resetting the CMOS – N/C
    Dust everything.
    Reseat the CPU and redo the heat sink+paste – N/C
    Remove and reseat GPU – N/C
    Remove and reseat the RAM also booted w/o RAM (speaker post code) also move RAM slot – N/C
    Replce HDD with a known working HDD - N/C

NOTE: This board has no on board video...

I put the drive in question, the 2 TB WD HDD in an external bay and connected to Win7 and Win 10 laptops. The drive spins, it also shows in Disk Management but as "Disc 2; Unknown; Not Initialized"

Other drives (1 TB Seagate or 250GB WD) placed in the external bay show as "Disc 2; Basic, 931.51 GB; Online"

I guess this means that there is something wrong with the drive. I suppose I need to get disk recover for that. I will try it in another desktop with a recovery program later...maybe it will be able to recover.

OK...
    The HDD did not work in another computer. Got the "Reboot and select a proper Boot device"
    The RAM worked alone in the other computer (which has identical memory), though I thought it was a little slower. Windows Memory Diagnostic showed no errors on the RAM.

Some more negative results;
    I rebuilt the MOBO set up outside the case on a cardboard box.

Reboot with....
    - No HD/SSD - N/C
    - Boot disk in OD - N/C
    - New SSD ONLY - No change
    - New SSD with Repair/Boot disk in OD - N/C
    - With SSD back in but no boot disk in SSD

- Install System speaker (there was not one on the build)
    - Reboot - No POST beep - N/C
    - Remove SSD and reboot No HD/SSD - No POST beep - N/C
    - Remove RAM and reboot - POST beeps indicating missing RAM

So, no beeps on boot with no mouse or keyboard, only monitor, GPU, OSD (With or without SSD)...

I got a POST CARD, here are the RESULTS
    When I did it, there was no mouse, keyboard, boot drive....

Gulp....

Here are the code meanings for my mobo
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039406

Here are some generic codes meanings
    https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.x4500/819-4359-19/appb-post.html

These are the codes in order of appearance. I don't know if it means that it passed each of them until the end, or each was reporting a problem.
    4A
    3C
    4D
    4E
    F0
    F1
    F5
    F2
    F3
    4F

On my list of what I don't know how to test/interpret:
    • GPU fan spins...but is it ok? (I now have a new GPU in a box on hand to try...)
    • It appears everything gets some power HDD, OSD, GPU, fans, board, etc : I have a working pulsing lighted mouse/keyboard - when plugged in to ANY USB on the computer they do not pulse (but light when mouse button light is pressed for example)...is there a PSU issue? (low power?) (I now have a new power in a box on hand to try)
    • Motherboard ok? The HDD appears to be dead plus other behaviors...
    REGARDLESS: How do I get back to seeing system messages on the monitor!?

System built in 2013
    PU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: WD Green 2TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache WD20EZRX (this is the 2nd HD, a seagate started to click fail in 2015 and I Macrium cloned the drive to this one)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1 GB Power Edition Video Card (the only monitor plugs)
    Power Supply: Corsair 500CX - Builder 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

2. danmirage

danmirage Thread Starter

Semi-new GPU inserted with NEW RAM - No Change
    I did not swap out the PSU.

Going to rebuild with a WIN 10 compatible GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.x) AM3+ Motherboard...which takes all the build parts...

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The initial problem (ie: “Reboot and select a proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key” ) is for the missing HDD (ie: boot drive containing the OS).

The new problem is likely self inflicted. Something is improperly connected, not connected at all, or was damaged. Remove power, open the case, and then triple check everything. Remove/reinstall all components and cables.

Also, any semi new video card is "Win10" compatible. All that's required is drivers, which any card manufactured in the last several years should have.

4. danmirage

danmirage Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

Right, so initially the HDD went bad for some reason. It seems I have confirmed it is bad.

It seems like "self-inflicted" may be possible. I initially pulled power, drained residual power and checked all the connectors. when there was no change, I swapped SATA cables to check them. It was after the cable swap that there was no POST. I swapped them back. No Post. Possibly I did some harm.

I have since re-seated all connections, then removed everything and rebuilt the computer outside the case with no change. It is not the case, RAM, GPU...

Reconnecting everything as it was and no change. Replacing parts and no change.

Today I will rebuild with a "new" the mobo. We will see.

It was the mobo that I was concerned about compatibility. The current board is not rated as Windows 10 compatible. This may be a little silver lining, as the replacement board I have is Win 10 compatible.

5. danmirage

danmirage Thread Starter

Update:
    I rebuild with a new motherboard and it posted with the old parts.
    So I broke the motherboard while trying to assess the "Reboot and select a proper Boot device"

I am in the process of doing a fresh install of Windows 7 but I intend to upgrade that to W10.

This is the system...

CPU AMD - FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Memory Corsair - Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    System/boot SanDisk - X110 - 110 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1 GB Power Edition Video Card
    Case NZXT - Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply Corsair - Builder 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive Samsung - SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer
    OS MS Windows 7 64-bit Home and will update to Windows 10 64-bit

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    At least you found the problem. Good luck.

7. danmirage

danmirage Thread Starter

You were probably right about the "self inflicted'...

The Windows 7 install went well. Everything is very fast.

I plan to upgrade it to Win 10 when I have the time.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It happens. Anyone that's worked on a computer has had it happen.

It could have also just been a coincidence that there was an existing fault.

In any case, it's working now. Good job.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice