1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No signal with PC to monitor or devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhilPeyton720, Nov 4, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. PhilPeyton720

PhilPeyton720 Thread Starter

So I've had this computer for several months, purchased from someone who builds his own and had a spare. It's worked perfectly fine until now, a few days ago. I brought it back home after using it at a friend's house, where it worked perfectly fine, but the next morning, I turn it on and it gives no signal. My keyboard and mouse, both of which have lights, will light up momentarily before blacking out again. The computer turns on, runs fine as far as it sounds, but nothing shows up onscreen or responds. I even used a wireless mouse to see if it was that it was in sleep mode, but it still did not respond. The only methods I have tried that I've seen others do is check cables,obviously, and remove the battery out of the motherboard to reset the BIOS. If anyone has any other recommendations, that would be very useful! (P.S I'm not the most tech savvy person, I do understand terminology, but I've never messed with the parts or anything myself until now, as it's needed.)

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Sounds like something may have been jostled loose .... hopefully anyway. Power the computer down. Put on an anti-static wrist-strap. Open the computer case and remove and re-seat: All RAM modules, All internal cables, as well as any Adapter cards. Close the computer back up and double-check all external connections to make sure they are secure. Cross your fingers and power it back up.

Let us know what happens ...

3. PhilPeyton720

Well every store around me is sold out of the strap, so I'll let you know in a couple days when i get one shipped in lol

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. PhilPeyton720

Update: so i have reseated everything i could, even found an additional video explaining what components would be loose if i had no video signal: the memory, video card, and power supply. All of which got reseated according to the instructions, but still no result. Is it the motherboard, and should i take it to be physically examined?

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I'd take it back down to bare bones on a table. Nothing but motherboard (on a non-conductive surface), CPU (w/heatsink), RAM, PSU, video, keyboard and mouse. Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try different PSU (first) and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory default.

Now try running an Operating System (*nix) from a bootable USB flash drive. Exercise it some (web) and then leave it running overnight. If it's still where you left it the night before, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and try the same, (exercise it, web, games, whatever), and leave it running overnight. If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond the bare minimum, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. You get the idea ...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice