1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound after installing windows xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darockjc, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darockjc

darockjc Thread Starter

I had to use the disk and make my computer back to how it was when i got it
    from manufaturer. After i did this i reinstalled Windows XP b/c i hate the
    windows me edition. After I installed XP my sound quit working. I have no
    sound what so ever. It doesnt recognize my sound card. Someone told me to
    reinstall the sound card driver, but I dont have a disk for my sound card nor
    do i have any idea about what type of sound card it is. I know that it is
    whatever one that came in it. What can i do to get my sound back. I have already made sure that it wasnt muted or turned down so that isnt it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    did you do a clean install or did you use the option to upgrade? If you did a clean install it will basically erase your hard drive and reinstall windows as though there never was WinME on it. Thus losing all your driver files that Win XP may or may not have built in. If you start the process over again after recovering your computer to factory specs, start the WinXP install over again, this time look for the upgrade option instead of the install windows option. This will save your settings and your data if any that you may want to keep.

3. darockjc

darockjc Thread Starter

i did the upgrade option when installing XP. When i wiped the computer I choose the option to take it back to the factory specs. Could this be why it doesnt work? If I go back again and reinstall XP is it possible that could solve the problem or is their anything i can download to fix the problem???

4. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Reinstalling XP again will bring you back to where you are now.

What is the make and model of your sound card?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    go into device manager and see if it gives you anything about your sound card under Multimedia. If it does delete everything involving your sound card. then restart the computer. WinXP should redectect your sound card. If you need to install drivers you amy have to download the latest drivers from the manufacturers website.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!