1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound after reformat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lobster1, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

I'm running win 98 and had to reformat.Since then Ive been unable to get sound .Ive down loaded the driver for the ibm aptiva 2270 that is d64z16us but I still get the yellow question mark . thanks for any help

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked ibm's site and it shows it does not support win98. You must have 98se to use the driver. Your post states win98.

It may work if you do a manual install of the driver files rather than using a setup.exe. Have you tried a manual install?

3. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

sorry about that,it is 98se,is there any other drivers that should be added along with d64z16us?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, from what I read that is the updated driver for the sound.
    Have you tried a manual install of the driver?

5. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

yes ,but it doesn't seem to recognize its in there

6. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

I have tried to do it manually and as I'm doing it it says its already in there and i select yes to all.Than I get into sound max when I'm installing it and it shows loading to 50% and then finish and tells me to reboot.When it reboots it starts looking for the driver for pci multi media audio device in the specified location I put C: \ibmtools\driver\d64z16us \data.tag,thenit looks but no luck.Then it search for pci comm.device no luck there either

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not a manual install. To install the driver manually go to device manager and select the problem device [It should have a yellow mark next to it] Select properties>driver>update driver. Now point it toward where you extracted the file you downloaded.

Note to do this you must extract or decompress the file from the .exe file.

8. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

tried to install thru device manager and still failed.Didn't mention anything about unzipping file wouldn't know how if it did

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

If the driver is a zip file then you need a program to unzip it and put the driver into a folder so you can browse to it and install it. Go here and download and install this, then use it to open the zip file:
    http://www.7-zip.org/

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a self-extracting archive. Just right click on the file and choose to decompress or extract. Note xp and vista have built in file extraction. You will need something like winra or winzip to decompress the file if you are using win9x.

Once that is done, attempt a manual install of the driver.

11. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the zip program but I don't think this file needs to be unzipped.I went to the hard drive under ibmtools and the driver is there,it seems I can't get the sound card to acknowledge that. Thanks

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not understanding. When you post the driver is there, where are you looking? Actual driver files are usually .inf or .sys type files and they are in a the windows\system32\inf folder [usually]
    If what you are seeing is the .exe file, that is not the driver. It is an install file FOR the driver. That is why I suggest trying a manual install of the driver.

13. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

I did unzip the file and it is in a folder on my desk top.I ran the manual install thru the device manager and when it asks location of the file i put in desktop and also tried with location c:d64z16us both times it came back as unable to find,thanks for the patience

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post a screenshot of your device manager.

15. lobster1

lobster1 Thread Starter

how do I do that?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice