1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound, and no sound options

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Troubled_youth, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Troubled_youth

Troubled_youth Thread Starter

i just finished building my computer. I have no sound options, not even a volume control on the bottom right control pannel. when i checked out the sound options through windows copntrol pannel, everything was frozen. it said i had no audio devices and no sound options. this doesn't make sense as i have speakers for my computer. the speakers are fine, i used them in a little portable CD player i had, and they worked. but i can't turn up the volume on my computer. infact, i can't even access it. does anyone know how to fix this problem? microsoft has been pretty useless in helping me.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Did you install your motherboard chip-set drives and also your drivers for your sound card?

3. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

"i just finished building my computer"... What type sound card did you install? Are the drivers correct? Go to Device manager and see if you have a yellow exclamation point showing beside sound.

4. Troubled_youth

ok, theres a little yellow exclamation mark. i forget what that means. i think it means there conflictingt hardware, but i don't remember
    all sound card drivers are installed, and the chipsets SHOULD be installed, i got the guys at tiger direct to do it. so theres alllways the posibility thye didn't do it. cheap *******s

5. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

well yes that's what it means.. in particular it means you haven't loaded the proper sound card drivers. If your sound is on board do as Bonk suggested and get the proper chipset drivers for your motherboard. If you have a pnp sound card you will need the drivers from the manufacturers support site.

6. Troubled_youth

Yay! stupid tiger direct... so yah, i had to install the audio drivers. thanks for the help guys! i probably never would have figured it out. thats the most pathetic bit

thanks again!

7. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

Glad you got it working.. Hope you enjoy your new pc.. you can mark your post as solved by clicking on Thread Tools at the top.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!