1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound card detected by windows xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dalfinboy, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dalfinboy

dalfinboy Thread Starter

i recently upgraded from win98se to win xp pro, and after doing so my soundblaster 16 ISA is not even detected by win xp. any ideas on why?
    i have read many forums but cant find an answer or how to fix it. i have been to the creative website for answers, i have tried to update my bios . i have checked my settings in bios but cant seem to find any onboard audio controls that i can disable. i built this computer a few years ago so i have no manufacturer to turn to. in talking with different people, some say even though it is ISA, it should still work with win xp. any help would be greatly appreciated ...

2. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

Check the Microsoft web site for HW that is supported by XP.
    I have had to upgrade several obsolete pieces.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. You are probably even lucky to be running XP Pro on a system that still has ISA slots to begin with :eek: Do you even have PCI slots?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Wally world sells a Cretive 16PCI for $29 or less on the right day. Works really well with WinXP.

6. dalfinboy

dalfinboy Thread Starter

yes my motherboard has both isa and pci slots... i assumed that buying a pci soundcard would fix my problem( so i am told) but wanted to exhaust all the options first...trying not to spend any money that i didnt have to.. (old fashioned i guess :) ). i have tried to run add new hardware thru control panel, but windows xp will only let you add what it finds... and well, it doenst even register a sound card to try and update a driver...and to acacandy: i was surprised to see this computer run xp as well... i had my doubts but she is holding up just fine so far...its an old p3-128 ram w/ 18 gig hard drive.. i just check email and surf websites and listen to music on it...so its been good to me for the past few years... knock on wood..great website here and thanks for the help

7. ~Candy~

Wow, only 128 megs or ram...........I would think that in itself would be painful. That would be your best bang for the $ --- more ram ;)

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I agree with the more ram but it still wont help you sound card issue

9. ~Candy~

10. dalfinboy

dalfinboy Thread Starter

yeah i will definitely look into more ram... and im headed out for a pci soundcard. i cant find any solutions other than xp not recognizing an ISA slot device...

11. dalfinboy

dalfinboy Thread Starter

i just purchased a very cheap sound card (pci) and it works with no problems...sound isnt good quality but at least i have it! wooohooo !!!! guess its true, you get what you pay for :)

12. ~Candy~

I always install cheapie sound cards into my systems. I have a stereo for my music :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice