1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No sound coming from the monitor headphone jack

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 845386958, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

Just like the title said, there's no sound coming from the monitor when I plug in my headphone. But when I plug in my PS4 and then my headphones, there's sound coming out of it. I'm using a dvi cable for my pc and hdmi for my ps4.

PC Spec:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor (YD170XBCAEWOF)
    Motherboard:: ASUS Prime X370-Pro AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX X370 Motherboard with AURA Sync RGB Lighting
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
    SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) and WD 1 tb
    GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR
    PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W, Fully Modular
    Chassis: The case already have the case fan.
    Case :Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The HDMI standard supports sending digital audio and the DVI standard does not support sending any kind of audio.

If your monitor has an analog audio input jack it may allow you to run a separate audio signal cable from the computer to the monitor to work with the DVI video.

3. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

So basically I need to buy a audio signal cable and connect the monitor and the pc?

But I have a question, this problem only occurred when I changed my mb, (it is the same type, but the old one was broken) iirc, the old one doesn't required the cable you mentioned. All I need is plug in my headphone and it worked fine. However, I can't remember if I used a HDMI or DVI cable back then.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Can you try the HDMI cable from the PS4 on the PC ?

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You would need to check your monitor's owner's manual or any on-screen menu settings to confirm that it has an analog audio input. A lot of monitors use the same type of 3.5 mm headphone jack for an audio input and also check if the monitor can feed that audio input to the headphone jack when using the DVI input.

FWIW, I would consider it a technological miracle if you were only using a DVI cable between your old motherboard and monitor and getting PC sound out of the monitor.

6. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

Yeah, like I said, I forgot about the details so I might be wrong. Also, I just check the back of my monitor, there's no an analog audio input jack , only a headphone jack.

7. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

Ok, I will try it. Will give you an update soon.

8. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

When I use the HDMI cable, there's sound coming out of my headphone, but when there's no sound present, the headphone will have a very annoying noise that's very similar to static noise. Also, Realtek HD Audio doesn't work, only the Asus VS228 one worked. Why is it the case?

Screenshot (1).png

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The random/static like noise could be coming from the digital-to-analog converters and audio amplifiers inside your monitor. They all have some inherent amount of background noise and high-quality (and more expensive) audio hardware may not have been a priority with the monitor manufacturer.

As for the Realtek HD Audio setting in your screencap, I suspect that it is in reference to the headphone output on your computer, not the monitor. Your monitor's headphone feed is controlled by the ASUS VS228 playback device settings. Perhaps someone else here might be more familiar with Windows' audio settings in addressing your second question.

10. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for answering. I think I will just buy another HDMI cable to save some trouble.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice