1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound device

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by graemeholt, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graemeholt

graemeholt Thread Starter

After recently reinstalling XP I found I have no sound, after a friend sent an attachment that required sound. I have checked the "sounds and audio devices" and under the volume tab it tells me I have no audio device. All the codecs etc seem to be functional. I have the sound scheme on windows default but when I click on the windows icon it shows "none". When trying to use W M Player an error notice saying I have no sound card or it isn't working , shows. I had no trouble with sound prior to the reinstallation. Can anybody help.
    G:

2. fidodido

fidodido

Hi
    Lets do some basic troubleshooting. Go to device manager and see if the sound device is recognised. If not then you need make sure the OS finds the sound device. If its a separate PCI sound card, try opening the computer and make sure the PCI card is placed firmly in the slot. After you restart your device manager should have it in the list.
    If your device manager has the device in the list, but with a yellow exclamation mark, right click on the device and uninstall it. Related to sound there could be couple of other devices. Uninstall everything and try restarting the system. This time it should install the drivers correctly or else your try installing the drivers from the cd of PCI sound device.

3. graemeholt

graemeholt Thread Starter

Thankyou fidodido.
    With a little thought I came up with a motherboad utilities disc. After installing the audio I am back in business. Thankyou for taking an interest.
    G:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!