1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound Device

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Shortys748, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shortys748

Shortys748 Thread Starter

Hello i know my title says intermediant with computers because i am only 15 years old and im pretty good with them .............but anyways this sounds like a "begginer" questoin

Suddenly my computer says "No Sound device" when i try opening Windows Media Player and i no longer have any sound on my computer i had this problem before and a friend of my father came and fixed the problem he put some sort of program on here called "AV rack" im not sure if that is the program he used to make the sound come back or not but it was on there when he finished and i had not deleted it at all........if anyone could give me a simple step by step way to bring the sound back it would be greatly appreaciated

Thanks

2. Shortys748

Should i maybe do a system restore?

3. Shortys748

alright forget it the system restore didnt work but i still need a step by step on how to fix it

Please and Thanks

4. claytonwg

claytonwg

I am old enough to be your grandfather, but I had a problem much like this. Here is an Idea... 1- download the latest Version of Windows Media Player that is compatible with your system, presumably Version 10. 2- Save it to your computer where you can find it, or copy it there (perhaps rename it so it can easily be found, again) or place on Memory stick or burn to CD...your choice. 3- I usually download to Desktop. 4- Do the reinstall of Media Player. 5) Now try it and go to the master volume control to make sure it is set where you want (in Control Panel) or perhaps a right click from the mouse. Make sure it is not set on Mute or some program is not reverting it or part of it (the Master Volume) back to settings you don't want. 6) Reboot and see if it still works. At any time that it goes out it could be reinstalled. Watch the behavior and if this doesn't fix it, it may lead you to program that causes the issues. 7) Let me know if this helped any. Good luck!
    claytonwg:)

5. Shortys748

it isnt just with windows media player the whole volume is gone there isnt even a master volume to go to it is completely wiped out is there a way i could download a new volume thing

Thanks

6. claytonwg

claytonwg

I understand...But did you try it? As far as retrieving your master volume, I am at a loss. Someone else here may be able to help. Have you gone to the Microsoft site, put in your operating system and searched for "missing sound or missing Volume Control"?

good luck, Claytonwg

7. Shortys748

ill try it thanks ill let you know if it works

8. Caesius

Caesius

I can't fix your problem, but I do know a workaround.

1: Download Winamp.
    2: Right-click in any empty space in the main (top) window.
    3: Go to Options > Preferences.
    4: Under the "Plugins" category, switch from waveOut to DirectSound.

Winamp will now be able to play your music. You'll still have problems getting some programs to work (for example, Civilization IV and some other games will not work, and Flash files probably will not work), but you eventually may find someone who can help you. I'm having the exact same problem as you, actually, so check my thread occasionally to see if a fix suggested for me works for you.

9. Shortys748

I FIXED IT!! all by myself.........if anyone is having this problem let me know i can give you a step by step on how to fix it

10. ken757

ken757

Hi Shortys,

I just installed Windows XP Pro and now I have no sound. Nothing. How did you fix your problem?

Thankx,

ken757

11. Shortys748

What is your sound card model?

12. ken757

ken757

Have no idea. I don't even get the Windows chime.

In the "Sounds and Audio Devices" control panel I get a "No Audio Devices" message, yet the hardware properties page says that all devices are operating properly.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Ken

13. Yeehaakankin

Yeehaakankin

Yeah i seem to have a similar problem where i get a " Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe/ Add/Remove to install " and i've tried my original wndows XP install disc and can't seem to find it there........So if you can or anyone else come to think of it can help me out i would be much appreciative..
    Cheers Adam

14. Shortys748

neither of you to have the exact problem i did so i cant really help sorry but this will bumb it up so maybe someone else can answer

15. simmons7

simmons7

i get the same thing in my audio options no audio device i just reformated my comp because i got srewed with viruses and when i finished no sound what the hells that all about how did u fix yours anybody help me please i wanna play games and its hard with no sound:mad: (n)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/428118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice