1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound devices working on Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oosband, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

I have recently bought components for two pcs, my friend built them for me.
    I am using the Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 motherboard, it has an on board sound card.

I cant get sound on one PC (the other one I can only because I'm using a Black Magic Intensity Pro as my sound card) but both pcs have this problem.
    When I try to play music or open the volume control the pc says that I have no sound devices enabled and recommends I go to Add Hardware in the Control Panel. I have done this and the sound related devices are installed and working apparently.
    I have the latest Realtek HD Audio Drivers, which came on my motherboard CD.

I have done a little bit of research and someone said that the sound card needs to be enabled in the BIOS but I cant find anything about it in my BIOS - all the wires/leads seem to be connected inside my PC.

Any help is much appreciated, this is driving me crazy.

2. BG-0

BG-0

Can't find pics of your BIOS anywhere. Could you take a picture of the main menu, and after that a picture of the tab I ask... Or straight away pics of all the tabs... The sound card (could be called "Onboard Audio Codec" or something like that, too) most probably is disabled by default if both boards lack an audio device according to windows.

Other thing, get the sound drivers from Gigabyte site, the ones on the CD are always outdated.

3. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

How would I go about taking pictures of the BIOS? I don't have a digital camera and I doubt print screen works.

I have tried the latest drivers from the website too, it still doesn't recognise an audio device.

4. BG-0

BG-0

I guess you won't be taking pictures then.
    Is there an "Integrated Peripherals" sub-menu in the BIOS? Look for anything saying Audio anywhere in it, and enable if possible...

5. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

I have had a look under that before and cant find anything, but here's what it says on that menu:

SATA AHIC Mode [Disabled]
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]
    USB Controller [Enabled]
    USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]
    USB Keyboard Support [Enabed]
    USB Mouse Support [Enabled]
    Legacy USB Storage Detect [Enabled]
    Azalia Codec [Auto]
    Onboard IDE Controller [Enabled]
    Onboard H/W 1394 [Enabled]
    Onboard H/W LAN [Enabled]
    Green LAN [Disabled]
    Smart LAN [Press Enter]
    Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
    Onboard Serial Port 1 [3F8/IRQ4]
    Onboard Parallel Port [378/IRQ7]
    Parallel Port Mode [SPP]

Azalia Codec seems to be related to Audio but I tried some drivers with Azalia in the name or description and it didn't work...I really don't know what's going on, I'm considering buying a cheap sound card for each PC.
    Thanks for your help so far BG-0.

6. BG-0

BG-0

Azalia codec should be enabled instead of auto. (until you put an add-on sound card, then it has to be auto or preferably disabled) Give that a final chance with Azalia Codec enabled, reinstall drivers one more time, and then it's pretty much a case of getting a cheap(ish, preferably put the extra 20 $ over then 10 $ card and get an older Creative Sound Blaster (something like X-Fi series would be nice, even as used)) sound card.

7. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

Azalia Codec only has the options Auto and Disabled.
    I guess I'll get a sound card...thanks though.
    Unless anyone else has any ideas?

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is a new audio driver released 07/09/2009 (version r2.26) at the Gigabyte site, did you try it

9. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

Yeah, tried it, still wont recognise an audio device on either machine.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Go to the Gigabyte site, download and reinstall the chipset driver and see if the audio works.

11. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

Did that, still no sound. I also tried installing the audio drivers again after that and still no luck on either machine.
    Looks like I'm buying a sound card.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice