1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound: Fried port? no driver? get new card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mercenary Dude, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mercenary Dude

Mercenary Dude Thread Starter

I got a question for you all. My motherboard comes with 6 channel surround sound. it a ASUS P5NSLI and i have no sound playing. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled the audio drivers from the cd that came with it many times. Nothing. I have tryed the drivers off the website but it would take an hour to download and im just not that patent for something i dont think will work. Under device manager it says i have all drivers installed but each time i reinstall it says i dont have to correct device. I dont know if i have a fried port, if im have a screwy install cd that has the wrong drivers on it. So I see i have two options. One: let you'll pipe in with this and thats and i go through them all and see what does(if any) and doesnt work. Two: Buy a cheap sound card just so i have sound on my computer. It doesnt have to be high end at all. just to play games and every once and awhile music Any one got any idea?
    Merc

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, you need to go through all the basics--that is making sure the speakers are on they are plugged in. Make sure sound is not muted and speaker volume is turned up on the speakers and on the compute sound control. Are you sure the speakers work? Can you try them in another computer? Can you try other speakers in your computer. Those quickly would eliminate the basic and then you know its a computer issue.

That probably Realtek right? Are you sure you have the correct CD? I would definitely try downloading the drivers online because possibly a file on the CD is corrupted. Who knows--its a process of elimination, but I'd first go through the basics--make sure the computer is the problem.

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

BTW--have you tried a System Restore? If this is recent, and it is a sound card driver issue, a restore to the point where you had sound would likely fix the problem.

5. Mercenary Dude

I've tryed speakers on several computers. They work. It says I have the drivers installed but doing the dxdiag under run, then clicking sound it says *No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.* Under device manager and sound video and game controllers it reads:
    Audio Codec
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Device
    Video Codec

I havent tryed installing the drivers from the website yet but i'll try it. And as for the Realtek, I don't know. For system restore, this is a freshly build system. Built on Wednesday and never had sound then ither.
    Thanks any one who has an idea,
    Merc

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

Definitely sounds like a sound card issue--either drivers are bad or the sound card on the board is bad or possibly a conflict. You obviously have the correct CD if its a new build, so to eliminate possible corruption on the CD, download the driver from the web--if that doesn't work, I try taking out all hardware except the hard drive, the CD-ROM and video card and reinstall windows since its a new build, its no big deal to reinstall. After the reinstall, and of course installing the sound drivers again, if it still doesn't work--its probably bad sound if it never worked from the get go. Obviously, you could RMA the board, but on the other hand, if everything else works fine, you can get a decent sound card for $20 or $30 bucks which would be alot easier than the hassle of RMAing the board and doing the whole thing over--that's what I'd do.

8. Mercenary Dude

I installed the drivers off the internet and it came up with the same message.
    *this audio driver does not support your computer Hardware.*
    "Note if you uninstalled audio software without restartingyour PC, restart now, then run this setup again*
    I just dont think i got a good audio port. I'm trying to hold off throwing windows back on here cause i just finished putting 20gb of music on it from my bros laptop (through a 10 mb hub... ::shudder:: not fun) so i dont know how to reinstall without loosing everything i put on there already. But i will if i must. Any last suggestions for i blow this thing away?
    Merc

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Uninstall sound drivers, look in BIOS setup to make sure onboard sound is enabled and set "Reset ESCD Data" to enabled, save changes, boot.

10. Mercenary Dude

I tryed reinstalling windows. didn't work. I looked under the bios for ESCD but couldn't find it. I'm out of ideas. what do i do? buy a cheap sound card just so i have sound? There is a Microcenter by my house aways, so I guess I could go pick something up from there. What would be a sound card i'm looking for? nothing extrem. I only have two small speakers. Any Ideas?
    Merc

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice