1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound from 2 rear speakers on a surround sound setting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Woodcutter, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodcutter

Woodcutter Thread Starter

re JAL Cb 2800VS system running Win Xp Home- Altec Lansing 251 speakers- surround sound

"I bought this system 4 months ago. i am concerned that I may not be getting the full 5.1 sound. When I went to play a DVD film with the bass woofer speaker set to 6 the 2 rear speakers produced no sound. It is only when i switch back to 2/4 setting that they work but I suspect are just duplicating the front L& R speakers to simulate surround sound.

Is it anything to do with how i have wired them up. the back of the base unit doesnt correspond to the 251 system booklet. The 3 top vertical connections ( back of base unit) are marked ( from the top) cntr/lfe pink; rear purple, s/pdif-yellow. The leads are unhelpfully BLUE, GREEN and YELLOW so do not match. Also the yellow jack is too small to take any lead.

The horizontal set of 3 below are coloured yellow ,green and blue! Yellow has a microphone symbol, green has a " tree" symbol above it as has the blue.

Help please so that I can get all the speakers working as they should with the sub woofer switch in 6 channel position"

Well I sent this email to the PC supplier and talked to them on the phone. they confirmed that connections OK and sound card fitted to operate 5.1.channl sound.
    Checked Sound properties in Control panel and even the test zone dialogue box tests all 5 speakers as OK but still no sound from rear speakers on the 6 channel position.
    All they could offer was for me to send speakers back to them for replacement. Before I do this i am wondering if there is anything else I could try. It seems like an odd gremlin if it is a faulty channel switch on the sub woofer?

help anyone

many thanks

Woodcutter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!