1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound from CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ebony, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I can hear both music and speech coming from my PC but recently when I play a CD on my CD-ROM or my CD Burner no sound comes out. I have made no recent changes to my system nor have I installed any hardware or programs. I have Windows 98 installed. I did check the cables and the both are plugged in.

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Just a guess. Check to see that the small 2 conductor digital audio cable on the back of the CD is firmly connected both to it and the motherboard.

- Castleheart

3. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Thanks but that's the first thing I checked.By the way I can hear the music through the ear phones connected to the CD ROM player.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check the volume settings in the volume control panel.

5. RSM123

RSM123

Does anyone else use your PC ?

I ask because the only way I ever got sound direct from my DVD through headphones was by a change in Windows Media Player. You might check just in case - in WMP click Tools > Options >: Devices > Properties. See whether Digitial or Analog is selected. To get sound through Headphones I had to click Analog / and for sound through Spkrs select Digital.

If you look there you can test this out.

6. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

What is WMP?

7. RSM123

RSM123

Windows Media Player

8. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

It was set on digital.

9. RSM123

RSM123

Sorry that was of no use - the only other thing that I can suggest would be to try the DirectX Diagnostic -

Start > Run type DXDIAG then follow the steps for Sound / Audio Troubleshooting.

In case your DirectX has somehow become corrupt you can if necessary download it again here :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads/default.asp

Other than that as you have checked cables connections, on screen volum settings, etc the only other thing left would be to reinstall your audio drivers.

10. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I somehow got Windows Media Player to work but Real One Player and the other loaded players refuse to work.

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Real one is spyware. Did you delete some spyware programs that maybe it needed?

You should probably just find a better program to use than "RealOne".
    Spyware is not fun.

hey, that rhymes :D

12. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Real One sucks......... not only is it spyware but a resource hog. On top of all that it has propierty settings only alowing it to play certain files. If you disable or alow WMP to be your default player, Real One will do unctrollable things to your computer. Remove it Remove it and then Remove it then use spybot search and destroy to find the hidden files. Did I mention Real Player Sucks........

13. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

How do I make Wmp my default player?

14. RSM123

RSM123

15. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Thaks for the info.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice