1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound from computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mc39785, Dec 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. mc39785

mc39785 Thread Starter

Hi I'm new.

As the title says, no sound is coming out of the speakers. And I should specify. When I test the speakers on my computer, the test works. When I plug my speakers into the computer, the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" pops up and when I press play to test the speakers everything is fine. There's a sound test, plays a little scale of notes in each speaker. Great.

Then I play a video, watch YouTube, play a game and there is no sound. Earphones don't work either. Couldn't watch the "How it Works" video here, so I'm probably breaking some rule by posting this question here.

Some info:

I have Windows 10
    Sound: NVIDIA High Definition Audio

I went through the process of updating the driver and the computer said "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed. There may be better drivers on Windows Update or on the device manufacturer's website."

Thanks for any help,

Mike

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It's my guess the motherboard in your computer has a Realtek high definition audio device.
    It's also my guess your computer has a NVIDIA chip-based graphics card (no description provided) which has built-in high definition audio.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Sound Video And Game Controllers heading.
    Am I correct in assuming "Realtek high definition audio" and "NVIDIA high definition audio" are both listed there?

What's the exact driver version listed for the audio device(s)?

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. mc39785

mc39785 Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought those were just my speakers.

Yes.

S271HL ... I'm guessing that's what it is. I bought this computer as is. It's been working fine for a couple years now. Just a couple days ago started having problems.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing your computer is connected to a Acer S271HL 27" LED Monitor.

That has nothing to do with what I asked for in the last part of post #2.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. mc39785

mc39785 Thread Starter

The driver version for the NVIDIA High Definition Audio says 1.3.38.16

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What speakers are you using? Where are you connecting them at?

7. mc39785

mc39785 Thread Starter

I don't even think the speakers are a problem. I plugged my earphones into the computer (different hole). Still nothing. And just to be sure, the sound has thus far been working just fine, even with everything plugged in where they are currently plugged in at. Just a couple days ago, just stopped working.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Check your update history. If the audio drivers were updated by MS after the sound stopped working, then the wrong drivers are being used.
    You can try rolling back the drivers or restoring the computer to a time before the audio drivers were updated and see if that fixes the issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice