1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound from my pc

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by canukchuk, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. canukchuk

canukchuk Thread Starter

For some reason I have suddenly got no sound on my PC windows 98SE. I tried to use my Windows Media 7.1 player and for some reason several sounds in there are intermittent. In addition to this on checking the sounds in control panel they are also not there. I have found that by restarting I get some sound but it only has appeared as about half the level of previous. I have also noted that going into multimedia in control panel and thence into devices and audio devices there are two audio for voice modem serial wave devices. Clicking properties on one shows driver disabled, radio button clicked 'do not use audio features' and ticked 'do not map etc'. On the other voice modem serial wave device properties - driver enabled & active, radio button clicked on 'use audio' and there is a tick in 'do not map'.
    (what does mapping mean?)
    Any thoughts on why the volume is either at half level or nil?
    Shall I delete one of the modem serial wave devices?
    Regards
    canukchuk

2. musicmanone

musicmanone

Check your midi device. If I have my MPU-401 device for midi instead of the MS Wavetable GS Synth, I don't have many of the sounds on mine. When you go into Multimedia, click the midi tab.
    See what device is highlighted, and try another one. Hope that helps :D

3. $teve

$teve

4. canukchuk

canukchuk Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas guys, have checked those already but to no avail. As far as the Midi goes I only have the via Fm synthesis in there, nothing else. What is curious is the fact as I said that I have 2 audio for voice modem serial wave devices - not sure about that. I think that possibly by deleting one it may solve the problem but am unsure what that does, and if I want to get it back again what do I do? But why are there two when possibly there was only one before? - I mean what caused that to happen if it did happen? Following the other thread of no sound, I have done all that mentioned previously. So, still looking for ideas out there - might try deletion of the other modem serial wave device though to see what happens.
    OK back to any other ideas then
    Canukchuk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice