1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound from speakers or headphone port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Diesel17, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diesel17

Diesel17 Thread Starter

hey guys!! so a week ago i was listen to music and that no problem, then that night i ran a windows update to update my whole laptop!! so i did it and when i woke up my sound was gone, from both my speakers and my headphone jack. i still have sound when i plug it into my TV with an HDMI cable, but that is all!! i have tried going one version back on my software and also re-downloading the software. so i am not sure what the problem is anymore. pls help guys!!

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Check start/control panel/sound.
    Make sure the right output device is set as default.
    Updating sound drivers can the default device to change,
    especially considering that your video card has onboard sound.
    That is probably why you have audio on the HDMI.

3. Diesel17

Diesel17 Thread Starter

My speakers are default!! basically it just does not want to unmute no matter wat i try!! when i move my mouse over the my sound tab on the task bar all it says is that "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"

4. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire

First make sure your audio drivers are correct, go to device manager and make sure your drivers are correct and updated. (I like to use a program called Driver Genius to do this for me, but I don't know if they have a free version, and I wouldn't trust any free driver update programs -seriously)

As a last resort you could try system restore to before the update and see if that fixes it, if you have Windows 7 just search System Restore in the search bar..

If that works then set Windows Update to download automatically but ask you to install the updates, then look at the updates and uncheck anything that has anything to do with audio drivers or anything like that. If there are no audio updates then I would recommend installing the updates one at a time to see what caused your sound to die.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice