No sound from Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ricleed

i cannot get any sound from my PC. I have troubleshooted to death. System devices are enabled-no system sound at all-I used to be able to listen to the CD player thru that Windows Media 10 thing-but now nothing.
Any suggestions?

Try these steps to see if it helps:

Here's the basic stuff to check..pretty sure you did already... check to make sure you do not have the "Mute" checked in the "Sound and Audio Devices" in "Control Panel", make sure the volume is set high and your speakers are operational, test with headset if possible to verify..if not then continue on...

1. Download and update your sound drivers from the manufactures web site...check sound. - check sound

2. Go into your Hardware Manager in the System and remove your sound drivers, then reboot and let Windows reload your drivers back in. - check sound

3. If you have a PCI sound card and not the "Intergrated/On-Board" sound, then go into your Hardware Manager again and remove the sound drivers then turn OFF your system and unplug it from power. Pop your case and remove the sound card from the PCI slot that it is in and move it into another slot, then reboot the system and let Windows re-load the drivers back in. - check sound

4. If its a Intergrated Sound chip then go into your BIOS and make sure the On-Board Sound is "enabled", reboot system. - check sound

5. Reboot into "Safe Mode" and see if you have sound.

Hope this helps!

Ricleed

I did go in and delete all of the stuff I could from the device manager-some just showed no properties. Re booted-nothing
Went to the bios and did not see where it said to enable the integrated sound-which mine is. Re booted-nothing
Is there someplace I could just download another driver? At one time that Windows Media 10 worked, everything works but the sound, just a light show. I do have the ViaCom Fix it installed and when I ran its diagnostics, the sound failed (duh) and it said either a faulty "loopback" or bad soundcard.
Just aggravating-but I do appreciate your help!

sdp3501

Shawn
Could the onboard sound be bad? Are your speakers plugged in? Do you hear the system beeps and such? Could the onboard sound have a wire unplugged on the motherboard itself Hence no sound not even system beeps? Try other speakers?

Find out what type of motherboard and sound and get the right drivers.

Just brainstorming. I built this system and forget what the specs are.

sdp3501

Shawn
open up the case and look at the motherboard. look for markings and names and numbers. write them down and post them. I had onboard sound on one of my old systems and had the same problem until I reinstalled the driver for it. AND dont delete anything, ever, unless advised to do so by someone. This single thing (deleting) has caused me more problems than anything really going wrong.

Ricleed

OK, I "popped" it open. It's made in China.
I saw these......VIA VT8237 and MS 7061 VER 1.0 and a thousand other numbers.
The on board Ethernet card now works, as well as the floppy-but no sound. I have checked all of the obvious stuff, power is on, not muted, volume is maxed, "use this device" is checked, speakers are plugged in and work. I don't even have system sounds.

sdp3501

Shawn
He has had too many probs to want to go back. This is the last one to fix.

sdp3501

Shawn
A3.73a is the version I was refering to but my suggestion is merely a first glance one.

Follow Elvandils' advice......much more experience.

sdp3501 said:
A3.73a is the version I was refering to but my suggestion is merely a first glance one.

Follow Elvandils' advice......much more experience.
Hey, they are both worth a shot. But I've had good luck with these Vinyl drivers and as time went on, they supported even the more obscure VIA audio chipsets.

Ricleed

OK. I tried both sound devices and neither of them worked. I got nothing from the VIA Audio and the other on said my hardware could not play sounds to contact my vendor.
Next...
(thanks for your suggestions!) I'll keep trying as long as you do~
Rick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online