1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound from Windows XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noggy1, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noggy1

Noggy1 Thread Starter

Hi

I don't what, but all of sudden I have lost sound from sound card.

The sound card I have is a Creative Audigy 2 Sound Blaster. In an attempt to fix the problem, I have reinstalled the drivers, I have ensured that I have the latest version from Creative, but nothing is working. There have been no error messages during installation, and there are no warning signs given in the treeview from within Device Manager.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks!!!

2. katastrophic

katastrophic

Go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices and check if anything is disabled or not in Speaker Settings or if its Muted.
    Hope this helps! :D

3. Noggy1

Noggy1 Thread Starter

Hi

These are one of the first things I checked and card is enabled.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Have you tried another set of speakers or headphones with the card?

5. tom6049

tom6049

Silly question, but have you checked to see if the speakers have come unplugged?

6. Noggy1

Noggy1 Thread Starter

The speakers are connected, yes!

When I switch on the speakers, I hear the power coming from the card, and each speaker is working, too.

I only have one set of set of speakers.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Do you have headphones to try? Its best to rule out the easy things first before trying more in-depth solutions.

8. Noggy1

Noggy1 Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, I did try my headphones, and I heard no sound through them.

Also, I have Linux sitting on a completely separate hard drive, which I occassionally use. Booting up Linux I can hear sound. Whilst I know the drivers are completely different, what this does tell me is that my sound card is working and is not broken. Therefore, the problem must be with Windows.

I have tried reinstalling the sound card drivers until I am sick to death with it and nothing is working. Is this a Windows XP issue?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Have you tried System Restore?

Also are you trying the drivers from the CD or the Creative website?

You may also want to use Add & Remove Programs to uninstall the Creative drivers and mixers and maybe even all the Creative software, then run Driver Sweeper(free: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/) to remove any left over Creative software, then reinstall the latest software from the Creative website.

10. Noggy1

Noggy1 Thread Starter

After I posted my reply that thought had entered my head.

Yes, I did try system restore, but it had no effect.

I tried both my original installation desk and the latest driver, which I download from Creative - nothing worked.

Each time I boot up my Windows XP O/S after a reinstall of the drivers, the speakers also boot up and I get the the usual hiss of power going to them. This to me from the past means they are okay, because as Windows itself finally goes to desktop you get the infamous music, and this always follows after the power hiss from the speakers.

Everything you have listed, I have done. I have completely removed every little trace of Creative from my system.right down to uninstalling the card itself!

Therefore, it comes down to two options - Windows or Creative? There must be something I can do to fix this?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Try another slot, Windows may treat it like a new device.

Also can you choose the Creative sound card as the default playback device from Sounds & Devices(I think thats what its called in XP) in the Control Panel? Or is it grayed out?

12. Noggy1

Noggy1 Thread Starter

Hi

I tried another slot, and this made no difference. Yes, XP recognises Creative as the playback device and it is not greyed out either.

It could be a problem with Windows XP O/S. Checking other applications, I am starting to see error messages. For example, launching my Hauppauge WinTV, this wouldn't start, and returned an unhandled exception, which it has never done before. I am starting to think if there are files either in XP that are corrupted or missing. Is there a way to check this and fix them without having to carry out a complete reinstall?

I tried sfc/scannow and this didn't show anything?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

SFC is would be the way. There is a repair installation procedure for XP where you can reinstall of Windows over-top of the existing installation, it someones fails but it usually works and retains all your programs, settings, and data - but no guarantee it'll fix the issue.

Have you checked the computer for malware? Maybe do a scan with MalwareBytes AntiMalware and post the log.

14. Noggy1

Noggy1 Thread Starter

I have completely reinstalled windows xp this evening, and after installing the latest drivers from Creative I am still getting the same problem. There were no problems installing the latest drivers.

Therefore, I uninstalled the drivers, and the card and went to use the original drivers from the CD, this threw an error saying that "Sound Blaster Card not installed". After this, I made sure there was no drivers installed and card was installed and rebooted the machine. After root Windows found Media Controller and Creative Games Port, and it started to install the drivers from the CD, but this did not cure the problem.

This is really strange, because I have done everything possible to fix this problem and nothing is working. On my other Hard Drive I have Ubuntu Linux, which of course uses the same sound card and I am getting sound via that operating system. What is blocking the sound? There are no wires unplugged and nothing is loose.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Thats odd that it works with Ubuntu and not Windows. If it wasn't for Ubuntu I'd just say the card is defective. I dunno.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930653