1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound....help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SEPULTURA, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SEPULTURA

SEPULTURA Thread Starter

I have just formatted my Harddrive and done a fresh install of WIN XP SP2
    Now my prob is there is no sound in my speakers whatsoever!

I have No Volume Icon on my Taskbar. when I tried to open the Volume Control from Start->Accessories->Entertainment->Volume Control the following Messege appears:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices,go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware and then click Add Hardware
    The program will now close"

In Control Panel-> Sound & Audio Devices-> Sound & Audio Device Properties->
    Volume-> No Audio Device.(greyed out)
    Audio-> Default Device -> No Playback Device.

I have a Intel P4 machine with a Intel 845GV Mboard.
    40Gb HDD(NTFS); WiN XP SP2.
    PLEASE HELP.....

NB: A friend told me this is because of Audio Driver..and these are included in the CD Which comes with the Motherboard..I don't have any such CD.... AND Is it absolutely necessary to install a Third party Audio Driver ? No Such Driver in win XP ?

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Actually, you don't need a "third-party" driver, you need the CORRECT driver for your soundcard / soundchip, which obviously isn't embedded within Windows... if it were, it would be outdated and would require updating anyway...

WHICH version of WinXP are you using, Home or Pro? It might make a difference... What SPECIFIC motherboard do you have; identifying the chipset is nice, but we need more details... Do you have an Intel D845GVAD2 board, an 845GVSR board, or an 845GVFN board? The 845GVAD2 board uses a different audio driver than the other two 845-chipset based motherboards...

If you're not sure exactly which board you have, look on the board for a small white barcode label; you should see the letters "AA" in the middle of the label, which looks like this:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/bar.gif

Post the digits that FOLLOW the AA on the label... that will help to ensure that we help you locate the correct drivers for your system.

Provide the information I've requested, or as much of it as you can, and let's see if we can get you pointed in the right direction with this repair...

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

4. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Well, ANY board using those Intel 845GV chipsets COULD have onboard sound, so until we get some more specific details, we still don't know which audio driver is actually needed... In fact, we still don't know if this is actually an Intel mobo, or if it was made by Abit, or Asus, or Biostar, or DFI, or ECS, or Foxconn, or... The point is, we can't recommend ANY drivers until we know which company made the mobo, and even better, which specific model it is. If the board doesn't have the Intel barcode sticker, chances are, it really isn't an Intel board at all...

The OP has indicated that it IS an actual Intel motherboard, but until we know more, we're still working semi-blind. Hopefully, SEPULTURA will reply soon, and we'll be able to help him resolve this completely...

This is up to you now... we can't help you eliminate this problem until you provide some more specific information...

Aside to jazz3000:

Hey man, I KNEW you'd nail that thing down quickly; never a shadow of a doubt... PL

5. SEPULTURA

SEPULTURA Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for your replies... Here are my MB details...(I used Everest for these..):
    --------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID 62-L140-001368-00101111-040201-INTEL$I45G140_BIOS L1.40 REV:1
    Motherboard Name ECS 845GV-M

Front Side Bus Properties:
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 128 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 511 MHz
    Bandwidth 4089 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
    Bus Type DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 128 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 256 MHz
    Bandwidth 2044 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
    Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
    Bus Width 8-bit
    Real Clock 64 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 256 MHz
    Bandwidth 256 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 478
    Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 ADD
    RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
    Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Motherboard Size 200 mm x 240 mm
    Motherboard Chipset i845GV

Motherboard Manufacturer:
    Company Name Elitegroup Computer Systems
    Product Information http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=1&MenuID=16&LanID=0
    BIOS Download http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/Category_Download.aspx?Categoryid=1

Now what...?

6. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Thanks for posting that information... As I suspected, it is NOT an actual Intel motherboard; it is an ECS board...

You can download the manual for that motherboard directly from this link (1.4MB):

http://www.ecsusa.com/DLfile/manual/mb/eng/p4/845GV-M3.zip

Just right-click and choose the "Save..." or "SaveAs..." option, and save the .ZIP file to a folder you can find easily, or to the Desktop... you can extract the manual (in .PDF format) by right-clicking the .ZIP file and choosing the "Extract All" option, then letting the Wizard do the heavy lifting for you... :D

The motherboard chipset drivers you need are here (2.2MB):

http://www.ecsusa.com/DLfile/driver/mb/ide/intel/intelcsi.zip

The audio drivers are here; LARGE FILE (25.7MB)

http://www.ecsusa.com/DLfile/driver/mb/sound/cmedia/973x/cmedia973x.zip

Once you have downloaded those .ZIP files, CLOSE ALL OPEN PROGRAMS, including your browser. Then, you can extract the motherboard chipset driver files from the "intelcsi.zip" folder simply by right-clicking the .ZIP file and choosing the "Extract All" option. The Wizard will run again... just remember to make a note of where you put the new folder and files that the extraction process will create...

Next, install the MBD chipset drivers; find the new folder (probably named "Intelcsi" unless you renamed it during the extraction process) and open it, then locate the file named "infinst.exe", and double-click it. The installer will run, updating your motherboard chipset drivers, which is the first major step you need to take in order to get your soundchip working properly. Remember to REBOOT the system when directed, so Windows can delete the obsolete files, and install the latest ones.

When you get back to the Desktop, you can use the same method (extract / install) for the soundchip drivers themselves; the .ZIP file will be named "cmedia973x.zip". Just find it, right-click and choose the "Extract All" option to start the extraction process, then follow the same basic method you used to install the MBD chipset drivers...

Again, remember to reboot when directed, and when you get back to the Desktop, the drivers will finish installing. After that, your soundcard should be working properly...

You've done well so far; once you have those drivers updated / installed, you should be off to the races... Hopefully, I've provided enough detailed steps so you can get the new / updated drivers installed without any problems...

Good luck; keep us "posted" on your progress... If you have any questions, post them here so we can help you. If you encounter any error messages, copy them down EXACTLY, then post them here so we can help you resolve them... Got to run; will check back for an update from you later...

7. SEPULTURA

SEPULTURA Thread Starter

Thanks PuppyLinux for your detailed reply... Let me download these stuff..
    I will let ya know... Hope these work.!

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

2 for 2 Puppy(y) I'm learning just reading. have a good one. Jazz

9. SEPULTURA

SEPULTURA Thread Starter

Thanks a million PuppyLinux... My problem has been solved..and I have noticed the sound quality has improved as well... Thanks again to all who cared to reply.....

10. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

SEPULTURA:

So glad you got this fixed, and even more important, that you're satisfied with the results...

jazz3000:

I'll pay you later... I simply try to keep learning, as much as I try to teach what I've learned to others... I will ALWAYS prefer Linux to Windows, but I've been repairing PCs for such a long time that I still want to help Windows users, because they're the ones who need the most help... Windows is such a clusterfsck that I sometimes wonder how it boots at all...

OK, so I hid a little Linux joke in there; "fsck" is Linux GeekSpeak for "file system check"...

BTW, I've read through some of your old posts; you swing a pretty mean hammer too...

My best to you and Mrs. jazz3000, or is she younger than you? :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice