1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound in Vizio HD TV Speakers from Toshiba Sattelite Lapt

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by The Skeezix, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Skeezix

The Skeezix Thread Starter

When I connect a cable from my Toshiba laptop (running Windows 7) to my Vizio TV I can see on the TV what I see on the laptop but I can hear only from the laptop's internal speaker.

I've tried this using 2 different HDMI cables and with 2 different Vizio TVs. I've verified in my laptop that the Realtec sound driver is enabled (but that's only possible when the laptop is connected to the TV) and selected as default.

What can I do to hear the laptop video through the TV?

2. Sponsor

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Account Closed

You have to change your default sound device once you make the HDMI connection. Right click your sound icon (with the TV connected w/HDMI cable), select playback devices, then select the HDMI connection and set as default.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Had this almost complete, so will post it in agreement. :)

With an HDMI cable connected right click on the Volume/speaker icon in the Notification Area and select 'Playback Devices.' On the Playback tab what devices are listed? If one says anything about HDMI set it as Default. If no HDMI is listed then probably your graphics card does not support sound over HDMI (I had a computer like that, a laptop bought in late 2007).

5. The Skeezix

I bought the laptop in September of 2012.

I tried connecting the laptop to the TV via HDMI cable and then setting the HDMI in Playback Devices (Notification Area) to Default. I still did not get any sound from the TV, just from the laptop. Do you have any more possible solutions?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

After setting to default try "Configure" (and run the Test) and "Properties." Maybe there will be a clue somewhere. Or maybe something is broken.

7. plodr

plodr

Do you see your tv listed as a possible device in Playback?
    Be sure you click a blank space and both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices are checked/ticked. There is no guarantee that the tv will appear but I can go through the steps I had to before I could get it to show.

It took me several weeks and a few forums before someone actually helped me to get sound through the tv from one of the netbooks.
    One netbook had no problem but the other was next to impossible to solve.

8. The Skeezix

Thank you for your reply.

I gave up last week and bought a cheap speaker set for the laptop. Now the Better Half can see her programs on her TV and hear them through the speakers and is happy.

When she is happy, I am happy. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!