1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound in Window Me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AnaV, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnaV

AnaV Thread Starter

I have a problem with the sound, i cant hear anything at all. I didnt install any hardware or software before this problem started, they stoped working at of now where. The speakers are external. On the device manager there is an yellow exclamation mark on this drive, C-media MPU-401 Driver [WDM], I think this might be the problem. My speakers did work before, I really dont know what happen. If anyone could help me, it would be a pleasure.

Thanks
    Ana:)

2. brianF

brianF

3. brianF

brianF

Email from user

mpu401 is the midiport driver, I beleive it really doesn't matter as long as you don't have a midi device attached to your machine.

Is the speaker in the taskbar, double click it, make sure that nothing is muted and the volumes are correct.

also go to start/settings/control panel/multimedia/audio, are the preferred devices set to your sound card.

4. brianF

brianF

nuther email from user, Ana please hit the reply button to reply to the thread rather than email.

5. AnaV

AnaV Thread Starter

Brian, what do I do next. You did not answer the last post that i sent you. Could you please responed back. I really miss the sound on my computer.LOL Without the speakers working its so boring.

6. brianF

brianF

Well sound cards really are not my forte along with I have never ran winme.

My thought would be to go to start/settings/control panel/add remove hardware, follow the prompts, remove your sound card, then reboot, let windows reinstall it, then install the drivers from the above link.

Maybe someone else will have some input.

When you doulble click the speaker icon in the taskbar, did you check and make sure nothing had the mute check bar, and that the volume levels where correct.

7. AnaV

AnaV Thread Starter

i am going to do all that to see if it works. I have no icon on the taskbar. I am go to see what i could do.. Thanks anyway.
    Ana

8. brianF

brianF

go to start/settings/control panel/multimedia, on the front tab of the dialogue box there should be a box to check to show volume control icon on taskbar

9. AnaV

AnaV Thread Starter

I did check that but it doesnt let me move it. and it is all the way to the left side.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's see if we can get the sound volume icon back in systray. But first let's make sure systray is in fact enabled. Go to start, run msconfig and click on the "startup" tab. Is System Tray (systray.exe) present and checked?

If yes, go to Add/Remove program>Windows Setup>Multimedia>Details

If "volume control" is checked, uncheck it reboot and then recheck it and reboot. You will need your Windows CD or to point to the cab files on the hard drive when prompted. These may be c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\windows\options\install in some versions of WinME

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

for what its worth I had to do a system restore yesterday with the same problem. in ME its a snap to do. But are you sure you ever had sound...

12. AnaV

AnaV Thread Starter

Yes, the sound was working before. I had gotton my pc reformatted a while back. Since than the sound didn't work, but than I had download the sound drive and it still didn't work. I tried everything but still no sound. If you can, can you please tell me how to the system restore it will be a great help.

Thanks
    Ana

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice