1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound in window's Xp Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roadkill1234, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roadkill1234

roadkill1234 Thread Starter

I've just formated my pc, installed the bios updates,chipset updates, video card/sound card updates everything updated.

Right after I did this I installed a game (half-life) and right off there sound wasnt working.

I went to device manager and this is what I expected to find:

-|-sound,video and game controllers:
    -Creative SB live! series
    -Creative Game port

And this is what I Actually found
    -|-Sound , video game controllers
    -Audio Codecs (hun?)
    -Creative Game Port
    -Creative SB Live! series
    -Legacy Audio Drivers
    -Legacy Video Capture Devices
    -Media Control Devices
    -Video Codecs
    -----------------------------------

Anything other than SB Live! shoulden be there and I cant disable them, turn em off or erase then.

1st I checked if maybe it had been my built in sound card but I checked and it was'nt. But I've noticed in my Bios there is something about Legacy auto something but it's disabled. I think it might of booted up once with those activated but im not sure.I've disabled them again anyways.

I've formated + installer winXP a bunch of times on my PC before and this never happened. ( tho it's the 1st time I toy around with Bios updates ).

Can anyone tell what to do to get rid of this problem? How to fix it? I'd really like to get my sound back cause this is obviouslly annoying !!!

Thank's ahead for the help everyone.

2. kben1028

kben1028

I had a similar problem when I reformatted my HD and installed WinXP. It may be as simple as the sound device being switched when you updated the BIOS. Not sure if this will work, but try the following:

1. Go to your Control Panel and click "Sound and Audio Devices"

2. From there, click the Audio tab, and make sure that the sound card or device listed is the one that is supposed to be there. (Creative SB Live!, in your case I believe)

3. If the correct card isn't shown as the default, select it from the drop-down menu

Hope this helps. If that's not the prob, I don't know what to tell you. Just thought I'd let you in on the solution from my experience.

Ken

3. roadkill1234

When I check under Sounds and Audio Devices Properties I get a SB Live! Audio [B800] . I dont remeber that B800 part ever being there.
    error msg with dxdiag : when trying to play music 0x80004003(errorcode)
    when playing sound I got : DirectSound Test results : Failure at step 19 (user verification of software)

Thank's ken, but it didnt solve my problem. I'll try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers see what it does... who knows...

4. kben1028

kben1028

Not that this'll help a whole lot, but I think that dxdiag is something to do with DirectX

5. mobo

mobo

Try checking in start/control panel/administrative tools/ services..Scroll down to windows Audio, right click it and verify it is (a) running and (b) automatic. Also check your volume control.

6. roadkill1234

Alright I foudn what the original problem was... It was user based the user had plugged in the connectors wrongs. ( that sux's ).

But Still 1 problem persists.... If I try to use ventrilo those "codecs" are coming back to haunt me. It try's to run the codecs of thems insteed of my actual sound card.....

ventrilo's FAQ wasnt very helpfull. Any1 ran in this problem? know's what to do?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice