1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound in winxp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vfwfw, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I have recently installed windows xp, however there is no sound. I have checked the device manager which reports that it is working properly, with no conflicts.

I downloaded the most recent driver (I have an AC'97 onboard chip), however this had no effect.

Everything is connected properly and I have checked the volume levels. My current configuration is WIN98SE installed on my C drive (40gb HDD) dualbooted with WINXP installed on the D drive (10gb HDD) and when I boot into WIN98 the sound works perfectly, so it is definately a software problem.

Thanks

2. jojomo

jojomo

in win xp go to control panel and open sounds and audio devices.on the audio tab , are your devices showing up or are they greyed out? if not open the volume and make sure the sliders are up and nothing is muted. there is also a mute option on the first tab which is also labeled volume.

3. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

jojomo,

The audio options are all available and the VIA AC'97 is listed and selected. I have checked the volumes and they are all active and at maximum volume.

The funny thing is that when I boot into Win98 instead of XP, without altering anything I get sound no problem. I also had XP installed (standalone without the dualboot) a couple of months ago and had no problems with the sound, although I had major problems with my modem and ended up going back to Win98. Thsi is my second go and this time have decided for the dualboot until I can get all the issues resolved with XP before I get rid of Win98.

Could it possibly have something to do with the dualboot??

Thanks

4. jojomo

jojomo

I have never had this problem so i am using simple logic to help you . The only thing I can come up with is that there is a conflict bettween the 98 drivers and the xp drivers for sound.As you probably know many drivers that work with 98 do not work with xp . Do you have 98 drivers on the 98 partition and xp drivers on the xp partition?Can they reside on the same hard drive in different partitions without conflict???? When you load the drivers in xp are you getting the 98 drivers when windows searches for drivers? Let us know how this comes out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!