1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound in WinXP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NT4.0, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

hi,

i installed a clean version of Windows XP Home Edition but the system can't play sounds. in the Device Manager it said that C-Media AC97 Sound Device needed a driver. I found one and installed it but it did not help -- now it says "The Device Cannot Start [Code 10]". What can I do to enable sounds in my system?

2. norton850

norton850

That's an on board sound device. Are you using any add on sound card? This was a fresh install of XP what was on the system before? Where did you get the driver and did you get any sort of CD with the system that might contain the driver?

3. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

what is an on board device? i guess the sound card came with the computer when i was buying it. the computer came with a preinstalled Windows XP and lots of other stuff that i did not need. when i was trying to set up a double boot and was changing active partitions, the system failed to load in the end. i tried to recover it but it did not help, so i found another installation CD and clean installed the system (there was no other options there). so i got the driver with my computer but after the clean installation all the drivers were deleted. no, they did not even supply a system installation CD, as you see:( all i got was a CD for monitor drivers, but not the sound card.

here is what is in my Device Manager under the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" branch:

C-Media AC97 Audio Device (marked with an exclamation point as one with no driver and unable to work)

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Video Codecs

(these seem to be okay).

4. Sisu

Sisu

Is the sound card a Soundblaster? Last time I reformatted and installed XP (thanks MS for SP2), I went directly to Creative's website to get the drivers and ignored the OEM disk I had. Open up the machine and look at the card.

5. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

how can i find out what sound card i have? i did open up the machine but i could not locate it (not enough experience). can i use testing software like Sandra Pro to find this out?

6. norton850

norton850

Onboard audio means that the sound is provided by a chip that is part of the motherboard rather than a separate sound card. You have already identified this as a C-Media AC97. I know that you've already installed a driver but in order to make sure that you have the right driver for this chip it's best to go either to the web site of your system or motherboard manufacturer. That way we can make sure that your problem just isn't the wrong driver.

7. n2gun

n2gun

It sounds like you need to find out what motherboard you have and go to their site and download the right driver. Sandra may id the board for you.

8. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

I have Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz Processor motherboard. does it mean I will have to download Intel drivers rather than C-Media?

by the way, C-Media website does not have a full set of files to install the driver -- some of them yield a 404 page: http://www.cmedia.com.tw/download/OS_e-cmi9761_index.htm

still at a loss.

9. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

thank you guys, I finally found the drivers that worked! hallelujah :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice