1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound in WMP, VLC, YouTube, DVDs, CDs, only system sounds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PaleFire, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaleFire

PaleFire Thread Starter

Hi and a big thank you for giving it a try (and thought) to my problem.

I've been surfing the net for a few days now trying to find an answer to this, and nothing seems to fix this problem: I have no sound in WMP, or any other player -winamp, which I ended up uninstalling and VLC, which I downloaded just to see if the sound will come with a new player. I also don't have any sound when I put CDs or DVDs, and I tried YouTube, and also no sound.

I have a Toshiba Satellite M110 with Windows XP SP2, which seems to have everything correctly placed in terms of sound card, volume and speakers (which are redundant as I don't use any). I've scanned my laptop for malwares, trojans, viruses, you-name-it, through AVG-free Edition and online-Kaspersky, but they don't pick up anything wrong with my system.

I do, however, have system sounds, like the welcome and other sounds. Also, another thing that seems peculiar is that opening anything needing sound (WMP, YouTube) ends up freezing up the laptop, and nothing works but Spider Solitarie. Not even the Alt+Ctrl+Del works to restart the computer.

The last time I rebooted this message came up saying that the NTFS -- Type of the file system, and S3A4137D002 --- volume label had an error or something along those lines. Then it said that CHKDSK was deleting an index entry from index $0 of the file 25.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks again for any help you can throw my way :)

PaleFire

This are my specs by the way ---->
    Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name ---- (Toshiba Satellite )
    User Name ----

Motherboard
    CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium M, 1600 MHz (12 x 133)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM
    System Memory 501 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (08/31/06)

Display
    Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
    Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]
    Monitor Generic Television
    Monitor Generic Television

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
    SCSI/RAID Controller ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller ENE PCI Secure Digital / MMC Card Reader Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller ENE PCI SmartMedia / xD Card Reader Controller
    Disk Drive TOSHIBA MK6034GSX (55 GB, IDE)
    Optical Drive MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 56925 MB (28066 MB free)

Input
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network
    Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.64)
    Modem TOSHIBA Software Modem

Peripherals
    Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
    USB1 Controller Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - USB Universal Host Controller
    USB2 Controller Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller
    Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
    Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

2. zabusant

zabusant

Hi PaleFire!

Doesn't this model come with Vista?

Anyway, since chkdsk found errors, I suggest you do this first:

Start>Run...cmd. A window will pop up, type in chkdsk /f, press ENTER. Select y for "yes", restart your PC and let check disk run.

It looks like your codecs have gone corrupt, you might have to reinstall your sound card drivers and any media codecs. When has this first started?

3. PaleFire

PaleFire Thread Starter

It's been happening for more than a week. I'll try what you say, and no, didn't come with Vista. And thanks for replying!
    :)

4. PaleFire

PaleFire Thread Starter

And I just hope I don't have to re.install anything as I don't remember where I've got the laptop's installation disk (I know, silly me!)... For the past year, I've been moving cities a lot, so I've been leaving things behind and I think those disks were one of them... Bugger...

5. PaleFire

PaleFire Thread Starter

By the way, every time WMP freezes, this thing comes up asking permission to send a report god knows where, which says this:

Error signature:
    szAppName : wmplayer.exe szAppVer : 11.0.5721.5145 szModName : hungapp
    szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\AAAAA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERac92.dir00\wmplayer.exe.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\AAAAA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERac92.dir00\appcompat.txt

6. zabusant

zabusant

Ok, once chkdsk finishes, go to Control panel>system>hardware>device manager, under "sound,video and game controllers" right click your sound card (yours will probably be "realtek") and click uninstall. When it's uninstalled, restart your PC. (if for any reason you can't do this, try it in safe mode - to get to safe mode, restart start pressing F8. A menu should appear instead of the Windows splash screen, select Safe mode with networking):)

Uninstall any third-party media codecs you installed (divx, xvid,...) through add/remove programs, restart.:)

You can find your sound card drivers here, just select the correct model.

7. zabusant

zabusant

BTW, are you sure it's a "Toshiba Satellite M110"? The full model number should be on the bottom side of the laptop, next to the serial.

8. PaleFire

PaleFire Thread Starter

zabusant, thank you so much for bearing with me. The model of my laptop according to what's on the sticker at the back of it is (written as it is):
    Toshiba
    Satellite M110 SYSTEM UNIT
    Model No. PSMB0A-0IL00D
    DC: 15V ---
    5.0 A

I'm a bit adamant of uninstalling the driver, as like I said before, I don't have any CD's with me (I have put my place upside down and I've positively left them behind... argh!), and I don't seem to find where to download the card driver (I'm afraid I've become brain dead in computer matters by now)... And yes, you're right, I've got realtek. Any pointers as to where I can find an installation pacakage for it? Sorry if that's a very stupid question!

9. zabusant

zabusant

If you're worried, I suggest you set a system restore point before doing anything. Start>all programs>applications>system tools>system restore. Make a new restore point.:)

To find out the specs of your sound card, go to Start>Run... type dxdiag and ENTER. Look under the sound (or audio) tab. If you let me know, I can find the drivers for you, but I'm betting these are correct for you (direct link).

10. PaleFire

PaleFire Thread Starter

Thank you SO MUCH! It worked! I owe you big time :). I was getting a bit depressed, as nothing seems to be working for me lately. This is hopefully the beginning of a good week!

And thanks again for all the help :)

11. zabusant

zabusant

No problem, good luck!:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice