No Sound, No FN Keys After Windows XP Re-install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JamesMatt

Hi Guys,
hope you can help me, here's my problem.

I have a Dell Latitude DL420 notebook, i connected my 3G modem up to it yesterday and I got a blue screen of death!
I couldn't restart from my keyboard so i had to pull the battery out of the back of it. When it started back up i had a different desktop background, my windows theme had vanished.
I got a little worried, none of my FN keys would work, normally i can press FN and then my volume button and i will get the sound controller.
I had no sound and i couldn't connect to the NET via my 3G modem either. I tried to back up my stuff but i couldn't copy and paste from desk top to my USB key.

The laptop was effectively DEAD, I don't have my original DELL Windows XP cd that i got with the laptop, but i used another Dell Windows XP CD to reinstall windows
......so about 57 minutes later windows was reinstalled..
i can connect to the net with my 3G modem,but now my screen resolution is not the same as it used to i have no sound from my notebook i get back this message when i go to the sound controller:

There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices go to control panel, click printer and other hardware then click add hardware.

none of my FN keys work anymore, my screen resolution won't go as small as it used to so i need a little help...

anyone any ideas how i can get my laptop back to how it used to be, with the sound working, screen resolution small again, and all the FN keys working? if i go into my C drive i can see a folder called C:\drivers in there an all my programme files are there but don't appear in the start all programmes menu.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need to go to Dell and get the software and drivers for the Dell Latitude DL420 notebook.

Sounds like you need to install video driver as well and possibly all the motherboard drivers.

JamesMatt

Thanks for the posts guys.
I have my Screen Resolution, FN Keys working now....

still dont have my Sound Back.......im not sure which driver to download the laptop is a D420, ive checked in device manager but there is no sound card listed...any ideas?:confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online