1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound on alienware m3200 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by magnets&miracles, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. magnets&miracles

magnets&miracles Thread Starter

hi,
    brought a second hand laptop that arrived without some drivers not operating. I've got drivers from the alienware website & also tried drivers downloaded by "driver genuis"... but still hasn't worked. I read some problems with XP SP2 so i intalled SP3 & also tried a fresh install of vista with still no success, so i'm back to my XP sp2 image. After reading other posts on here i checked my BIOS but its got no audio options
    Device manager has a yellow mark on "Vinyl AC'97 Codec combo driver (WDM). Legacy audio drivers has no yellow mark but nothing listed in its properties.
    Please help as this has been driving me nuts for about a week now!
    jason

2. magnets&miracles

Device status of "Vinyl AC'97 Codec combo driver (WDM)" is
    "This device cannot start (Code 10)"
    Also having problems with other drivers like the modem & an unrecognised network controller, but i'm not to worried about them but thought i should state it incase it's related.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked at the alienware site and it just about useless unless you register. You first need to find out what sound your system uses. To do so, there are several apps you can download and run. Everest is one of these. Download and run it to see what hardware is in your system. Once you know, then you can proceed to attempt to download the correct driver.

You have already installed the chipset drivers correct?

4. magnets&miracles

The image on the laptop is from my desktop with obviously different hardware & XP SP2. A fresh install of XP SP1 doesn't work on the laptop because from memory a file called "pci.sys". Ive read that this problem doesn't happen with XP SP2 install but don't have that available.
    So i've uninstalled many of the drivers from the image & install all these drivers from alienware that match my model
    http://support.alienware.com/Suppor..._processed.aspx?os=WXP&cat=32&manu=8&item=753

Thanks for advice, any others ideas will be much appreaciated :)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So if I understand your post, you installed xp on a desktop then made an image and restored that image to your laptop.

Unless you have universal restore, you just cannot do that and expect it to work properly. You need to clean install on your laptop; then install the proper drivers.

If you are in-fact doing it as I posted above, you are just asking for a problem AND you must have two licences for the os. One for your desktop and one for the laptop.

6. magnets&miracles

Thanks for the image advice, i thought i could just uninstall drivers & reinstall them.
    XP wouldn't install from disk because bluescreen pci.sys. So i slipstreamed SP2 & completed fresh install. I've got all correct drivers from manufactures website with matching model numbers. I've installed chipset drivers, restarted & tried to install audio drivers but still same problem as mentioned above. Modem driver install gets stuck on a file name something like speaker.dll which makes some sences considering the sound isn't working.
    Any more help or ideas appreaciated :)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What does device mgr look like? Do you have any yellow marks and if so, post a screenshot of DM.

I am wondering, did the sound ever work for you?

8. magnets&miracles

i've only just got this second hand laptop. rang the lady i purchased from & she said the sound worked for her. She sent it to PC guy to remove her data, arrived with fresh install of xp with same driver problems i'm having. i've never had sound

Attached Files:

• DM.GIF
      DM.GIF
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I really see no reason why your drivers will not install.
    Just to be sure when you clean installed xp, you did boot with the xp CD and run setup from there correct? Deleting the existing partition and creating a new one/format with ntfs. What I am asking is you did not start the install from within windows.

Next you generally install in this order.
    1 Install the os
    2 Update to the latest service pack; for xp sp3.
    3 Install chipset driver
    4 Install sound, nic, etc
    5 Install video driver

10. magnets&miracles

thansk again 4 help crjdriver,
    did everything exactly as you've said in that last post.
    fresh install by booting from CD on startup, not in windows. Deleted & formated C: partition that windows was on.
    Installed chipset drivers, rebooted, installed sound drivers, rebooted.
    Then that device manager screen shoot was taken.
    Is there anyway to test the speakers or sound card for just a beep sound like my BIOS does on my desktop, just to test if it's hardware or a drivers problem? cos i've never had trouble with drivers like this before.

11. magnets&miracles

I finally got the entire back off the case to expose all the hardware. I found a screw that didn't belong sitting against the face of one of the speakers. the screw wasn't very big & no idea where it came from(different to the 2 types holding case together) but looked big when stuck to the face of the tiny speaker. I removed the screw. Uninstalled audio drivers, & reinstalled. Sound still doesn't go, but could have this srew damaged the speaker some how? It was sitting against the cone & magnetised. But the cone didn't look broken.
    i'm gonna get this thing going one way or another!

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The screw should not stop the driver from installing. I have asked someone else to look at this thread since I can see no reason why the driver will not install.

13. magnets&miracles

thanks for your help anyway crjdriver with this frustrating problem.
    I even found a newer driver version than listed on alienware website but still no luck:(
    Is there any info i can give from everest that may help?

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Let's see what T6 has to say when he checks this thread. I PMed him to take a look at it. I will be off line for most of the day doing a test for work, yard work, AND I have to build a system later today.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unfortunately I'm not able to assist much either as I cnnot find much time lately to be around here lately.

But you can try the latest VIA driver from here: http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=104

I'm surprised its a VIA CODEC in fact, I would have thought they would have used a Realtek or Sigmatel one with an Intel board in a laptop. Actually, you could probably even try the Realtek AC97 driver from here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...1&PNid=14&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3

Otherwise use either SIW or Everest to confirm what sound chip is in the laptop, maybe the laptop doesn't have the correct board and has one from a similar Sentia series laptop. Look under the hardware and PCI sections to see what it says there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice