1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound on ATI card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by repaful, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I have an XP Pro 32 bit system. It crashed a few month ago and I reinstalled it. Since then the ATI sound device is lost, and I can't find a way to have it again.

I have searched a lot about it and tried also a lot, but without success.

I have an Asus M2N-E Sli with Athlon 64 x2 6000+, ATI radeon 4850.

All the relevant drivers are installed (or at least I hope so).
    The sound on the motherboard is ok, but there is no possibility to select the ATI device. The device manager shows me the device itself and reports "OK", but on the sound panel it is missing.

Thanks for any idea

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What sound card do you have installed? When I check the specs on that board, it shows a C-Media onboard sound chip.

Have you installed your chipset/mb drivers? When you install xp [or any windows os for that matter] you generally install in the following order;
    1 Install the os
    2 Update to latest service pack ie sp3
    3 Install chipset/mb drivers
    4 Install sound, nic drivers as necessary
    5 Install video driver
    6 If all is well, then activate windows
    7 Make a backup image of your drive.
    8 Do windows update and install ALL critical updates

3. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

Hi,
    yes, in general I made what you wrote. The problem is that I don't know what are the mb drivers, I installed what I found. You know, there are a lot of drivers from asus, from cmedia, ati and realtek (this one for the sound chip on the ati card) and I never know which one to install.
    The result is that I have both the ATI High Def Audio Device and C-Media CM6501 Like Sound Device in device manager and look properly installed, but the ATI device is not available as sound playback device.
    Also I have tried to install several different drivers from different forums, but noone solved this problem.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The mb drivers are on your support CD that you received with the mb OR you can download them from asus. I checked and the drivers are all available from asus. If I post the link, it will only take you to the general download page. The drivers you need are as follows;
    Audio Version 5.12.8.709&5.12.8.1606
    Chipset Version 6.85

Go to the asus site and input your exact mb and what os your are using. Download these drivers. Now uninstall whatever drivers you installed and install the ones listed.

5. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

Hi, I have tried what you wrote:
    found and downloaded chipset and audio driver. The old sound drivers were uninstalled (ATI also), and I installed the downloaded ones.
    Now I have sound on C-Media as it was before. the ATI driver was automatically reinstalled by windows. It looks ok, but cannot use it, because I cannot select it as sound device

(so nothing changed)
    chipset drivers were also installed, but by driverguide and driver detective my chipset drivers are not up-to-date.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

Do I need to install (or remove) this: Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, you need that as well. And to clarify, you do have Service Pack 3 installed for Windows XP, correct?

9. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

No, until now only SP2 and the latest fixes installed, until now I didn't want to mix it with SP3 also. But I will do it. Also should I install the whole catalyst control center, or the video and sound drivers are sufficient?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SP3 includes proper support for UAA, its generally a good idea to install service packs before installing drivers.. The Full Catalyst Control Center is recommended if you are using advanced features, which if you are outputting to a TV via HDMI with audio would likely be a good idea to have. The Catalyst Control Center will need Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 and all updates - run Microsoft Update and downlaod the optional .Net Framework updates after installing SP3 and all the other updates.

11. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

Ok,
    I installed SP3 and several patches, but actually did not help.
    Also installed Catalyst Control Center and all related, but no success.
    At Realtek I have two possibilities, and I have no idea how to continue:
    (0: do nothing).
    1: install ATI HDMI Audio device, R2.42 17953k and/or
    2: install WinXP driver only executable R2.47 30515k

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You want to ATI HDMI Audio device.

Again just to clarify, you are trying to output audio through the HDMI port on your video card to a TV, correct?

13. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

Yes, you are right, I want to use audio through the HDMI port.
    ATI HDMI Audio device driver is installed also, but I can't select it as playback device.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. repaful

repaful Thread Starter

No, it is not really so: in Device Manager you can find ATI HDMI Audio, C-Media CM6501 Like Sound Device, some codecs and other things under Sound, video and game controllers, and all are working properly by the property pages.
    BUT: in (Control Panel->) Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, Audio tab, Sound playback I cannot select ATI HDMI, it is missing from the drop-down list.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice