1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound on Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Scott216, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scott216

Scott216 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4300S with XP Home SP2. Recently the sound stopped working on all profiles. The sound is integrated in the mother board. Device manager refers to the sound 'card' as Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller.

Here is what I tried already, but nothing worked.
    -Rebooted
    -Verified speakers work by plugging them into ipod
    -Plugged headphones into computer
    -Verified sound was not muted in sound control panel
    -Looked at device manager and verified drivers were up to data and there were no conflicts.
    -Checked for new drivers in device manager, windows reported that there were no newer drivers
    -Followed the instructions in this forum to show hidden device drivers.

What else can I do?

--Scott

2. norton850

norton850

Verify sound is enabled in BIOS (no reason it shouldn't be but at this point...)
    If you haven't done so make sure in Control Panel proper sound device is selected
    Uninstall sound card in Device Manager and reboot.

3. Scott216

Scott216 Thread Starter

I checked the BIOS. Both the Sound setting and PC Speaker setting were set to ON.

For what it's worth, when in windows I used cmd to get to the c: prompt. From there, when I type CTRL-G <ENTER> I get a beep from the speakers.

--Scott

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Have you ran the board drivers? could be a bad sound chip?

5. Sanguines

Sanguines

Try to find a different driver - AC97 audio is notoriously problematic and will do exactly what you describe without apparent cause. I had to try 20+ drivers before I found one that would get my audio working before on an old rig I had. After that ordeal I bought a cheap 6 channel audio card for like 15 bucks and never had to deal with it again :)

6. Scott216

Scott216 Thread Starter

How do I test for a bad sound chip? I don't anything about running board drivers.

If I had a bad sound chip, could I still get a beep when I type CTRL-G <ENTER> from the c: prompt.?

--Scott

7. Scott216

Scott216 Thread Starter

I was thinking about getting a cheap sound card to solve the problem. Where would I find drivers to test?

8. Sanguines

Sanguines

Yes. The PC speaker is a little thing mounted inside your case, it looks like, well, a speaker for a car :p

9. Sanguines

Sanguines

www.driverguide.com

SN= driver2
    PW = all

10. Scott216

Scott216 Thread Starter

I pulled a sound card of an old computer we had and this works okay.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice