No sound on my computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bond007

My hard drive was repalced (after crashing) and now I have no sound on my computer. I do not get any start up sounds and I can not hear news reports (etc.) or play CD's. I searched the FAQ's and I did find a link to "Belarc" that analyzed my PC. Under the Multimedia category it said "None detected". Is this the problem or is it something else?

Can someone help?

Welcome to TSG.

do you know what motherboard or sound card you have? By chance do you have a disc with the sound driver on it or a system disk for the computer(Not a windows disk)?

Check in device manager and see if it shows sound and if there is a yellow ? or ! in front of it or anything in it.

It sounds like the driver for sound needs to be installed.

Bond007,

Welcome to TSG.

To better assist you a little more info will be needed.

What is your operating system?
Do you have a PCI sound card?
What is the Make/Model of your computer?

Bond007

Thanks for the tips on the loading the drivers. I have downloaded the drivers to my C drive. But when I go to the Device Manager and click on Reinstall Driver, I get an error that says it was unable to locate a driver. I am trying to load drivers that I downloaded to my hard drive. I'm still lost. Any suggestions?

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, If the download was a .zip format, do you have WinZip or similar unzipping (uncompressing) program on there?
If it is an ordinary .exe file, you need to double click that to install it, just like any program.....after you do that, reboot, see if hardware for sound (multimedia) is detected.

Bond007

Byteman,

Your suggestion regarding the file was right on. It was a zipped file and I could not open it until I downloaded WinZip. I now have sound thanks to you. I appreciate your expert advice. Have a good day.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online