1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound on PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bobbin, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

I was having problems with no sound on my PC so after checking all the possible causes on my PC (i.e. ! marks, default device etc.) I removed the sound card software, removed the sound card then rebooted the PC. After doing this I checked my onboard sound and it worked. I then reinstalled sound card and software and both onboard sound and Sounblaster X-fi Extreme card worked perfectly for a couple of days, then all of a sudden last night while listening through my headphones I first heard a couple of static crackles, then the music became muffled before going altogether. Just after this happened I could faintly hear the music in the background. I can't now.

No changes have been made to settings on PC.

I am operating XP.

Please help!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    moved to windows XP forum

you have two sound cards on the PC - correct an integrated sound card and a separate sound card

can we have some details - make and model of the pc - sounds cards etc

3. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

Yes one integrated in the motherboard and the separate Soundblaster x-fi extreme.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i assume you have been into control panel and checked the correct device is set as primary
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5940963_use-sound-cards-xp.html

it maybe worthwhile looking to see if you can disable the onboard sound via the bios - that way there is no conflict at all - although windows should support two cards , but only use one as the primary card

5. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

Yes, have done all the checks through Sound Devices etc. All are showing ok.

6. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

I have been using both onboard and separate sound cards side by side for 18 months without a problem until now. I don't think a conflict of sound sources is the problem. My PC is a purpose built machine by a local company. Sound card is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extrem. ASUS motherboard.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice