1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound on recently downloaded video files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Seann, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seann

Seann Thread Starter

Recently, the sound on any downloaded video will not play. The video works fine but no sound. Videos that were downloaded several weeks ago play with sound. I've tried playing the new mp4 files with iTunes and Real Player with the same results in both players. Sound works on videos played online. I had installed EZ Video Recorder awhile back and it would not play the sound after recording a video. I thought it may be the EZ Vid software and perhaps it corrupted something or there is a conflict somewhere. I uninstalled the EZ Vid pgm and ran some cleanup but that didn't clear it. I'm at a loss. :confused: Suggestions would be appreciated. I realized how much I don't know in this department as I've never had this problem. Thank you ahead of time.

2. UCanFixit

UCanFixit

Is it just no sound on recently downloaded mp4 files and is the sound otherwise working normally in Windows? Also, are those old videos mp4s as well?

3. Seann

Seann Thread Starter

Yes, just no sound on recent files. Sound is working on Windows. Old files are mp4's.

4. UCanFixit

UCanFixit

Based on everything you have said in your response, I am convinced that the audio is being suppressed during the download because your old mp4s are working fine so it is not a codec issue or a player issue either. So, with that said, have you been using a different method or down-loader (such as new browser add-on) recently and/or are you trying to download and convert the video to a different format (as part of the download process) by using 3rd party software?

5. Seann

Seann Thread Starter

No, I use Firefox most all the time and haven't started using a different downloader. I haven't converted the files during or after download either. After reading your reply I downloaded the same files with Chrome and still get the same problem.

6. UCanFixit

UCanFixit

Can you give me a link to a specific YouTube video that doesn't work after download so I can do some comparative testing? Also, I am not familiar with how to download a YouTube video (directly from YouTube) without the use of a browser helper object of some sort.

7. Seann

Seann Thread Starter

These aren't YouTube videos, they're products with several mp4 videos. This has happened with videos from two different product creators. They're downloaded in zip files.

8. UCanFixit

UCanFixit

Wow! Sorry I got off track. However, when you said "downloaded videos", I automatically (and incorrectly) assumed they were from YouTube. So, since this is the first time you have bothered to mention they are products with several mp4 videos from two different product creators (whatever that means), I wouldn't venture to ask anymore questions so I wish you the best of luck and cheers!

9. Seann

Seann Thread Starter

Whew! Didn't mean to waste your time. I'm just trying to figure out a difficult and annoying problem here. These products are digital training products that include a pdf or more and have several mp4 training videos included.
    If you don't have any more suggestions...Thanks for your time.

10. UCanFixit

UCanFixit

I do have the time and I know I can help you but I need specific details and not just generalizations. So, if you want my help, please provide a link so I can download, examine, and test those videos. They might have changed the codec they were using and you may not have it on your machine so that could be why you can't here the sound... although most players will warn you of that.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!