1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound on Sony Vaio laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tubbis9001, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tubbis9001

tubbis9001 Thread Starter

I didnt know where to put this topic, but Im pretty sure its a hardware issue, so I decided to put it here.
    Okay, so here's the problem: The sound worked perfectly before. Today, I had the sound muted, but I heard a feint static sound in the speakers. As I put my ear up to it, it popped and went away. The sound has not worked ever since that happened. I turned it off, took the battery out, restarted it, and still no sound. Then I uninstalled the Realtek High Definition Audio driver, restarted, waited for it to reinstall, and still nothing. After that, I did the same thing with the 4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio drivers and still nothing. THEN I checked to see if any of those 5 were out of date. They weren't, but I restarted again anyway...still nothing. Finally, I restored the system to the last restore point of May 15th, and it still doesn't output sound. This leads me to believe that its a hardware issue, but what do the tech guys think?

I should also point out that sound doesn't come out when headphones are plugged in either.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Welcome :)

So to confirm there were no errors in Device Manager?

3. tubbis9001

Thanks!

No, I didn't see any errors.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well you have done all the troubleshooting that I would have done. The fact that the headphones doesn't work either would suggest a hardware issue. Unless the volume is still on mute (im sure you would have seen that :D)... I don't suppose this laptop has an external volume control?

5. tubbis9001

Nope :(
    Now that we can safely assume this is a hardware issue, what would be the next appropriate course of action?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Contact SONY. If its under warranty it would a free service call. If you are in the US: 888-476-6972

7. tubbis9001

Update: I haven't had the chance to call Sony yet, but I did further testing, and found that the sound works perfectly through HDMI. I don't know if that means anything though.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    HDMI is a seperate port and I believe has its own separate sound device in Device Manager (usually HD audio)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice