1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound output from HDMI cable in my tv, only laptop speakers

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by KevzJD, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevzJD

KevzJD Thread Starter

I've pluged a HDMI cable from my laptop into my TV and theres no sound coming from the TV just the laptop speakers. I've tried going into my control -> sound options -> playback -> and setting the HDMI output to default but still no luck, whats listed is :

Speakers
    Realtek Digital Output (Optical)
    Realtek HDMI Output
    Digital Output device (HDMI)

and next to each one listed is like a sound meter, the only one thats active is the speakers at the top which im guessing is the laptop speakers.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Right click the sound icon in the system tray. Click Volume Control Options Is SPDIF Out checked? If not check it.

3. KevzJD

KevzJD Thread Starter

Ooops this is windows Vista not windows 7, is there anyway this thread can be moved? my apologies.

EDIT : I dont get volume control options, i would imagine thats because im on windows vista

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yes, you click on Report at the bottom of a post and make your request. No need to now, as I have moved it (from Windows 7) for you. :)

When I had Vista on this machine (the one in my computer specs that now has Windows 7) I believe the sound only worked for HDMI when using Windows Media Player. Or maybe it was Windows Media Center.

EDIT: I don't know if that was a restriction because of the computer or Vista.

5. KevzJD

KevzJD Thread Starter

Ah right ok I will test this, I was trying to use BBC iPlayer

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009769