1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound.... stumped

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rbare, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbare

rbare Thread Starter

Greetings all....
    I'm pretty much stumped with this one... any suggestions would be welcome.
    I have no sound from my computer. I seemed to have started after a BSOD following trying to connect a midi keyboard to my laptop. Soundcard is Realtek AC97

Everything "looks" fine. In device manager, the sound card says its installed and working properly (I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times with no success). There is not an actual problem with the soundcard (it works fine when I run my computer with Linux). But in XP, when I go to the control panel, it shows " No audio device". All the relevant services for the sound card are all running. Just no sound.

What is interesting is that there is one program... Nuendo (music composition software) that I have on my computer successfully plays back sound. Every other program fails.

Also interesting, I've run DXDiag... when I test sound, it gives me:
    DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)
    BUT, when I test Music... IT WORKS and I hear sound. Now under the music test, there are two ports listed, Microsoft Synthesizer and Realtek AC97 Audio. It doesn't work under Synthesizer... just when I set it to Realtek Audio (as expected).

Any thoughts? I can find very little on the web about MS Synthesizer. Obviously my sound card works... its just that windows doesn't seem to be able to see it. (I can't explain why Nuendo can... that doesn't make sense to me, except that perhaps it being a sound composition and playback software, perhaps it can manipulate the hardware access at a lower level the XP does). I'm wondering if somehow XP now thinks my default sound card is MS Synthesizer (could have got messed up when I tried to use that midi keyboard), and can't find anything there. The thing is, I can find no way to set my audio default back to my realtek sound card if that is the case.

Incidentally, under device manager, there is a "mystery" device there with the yellow question mark. But I have know idea what it is and can't seem to get any information on it. I've tried uninstalling it to no avail. I'm wondering if this is in any way related to this "no audio device" issue.

Anyway... I hope this is enough information to go on. Hopefully I won't get the standard "reinstall sound card and drivers" suggestions that proliferate on other sites. I'm way past that. If you have more to say on this than just that, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

...Randy

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

3. rbare

rbare Thread Starter

Thanks. Ya... I've already tried that... didn't shed any light on things. Still shows up as unknown device.

4. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Under which type of device is the yellow; sound/video and game controllers?

5. rbare

rbare Thread Starter

Doesn't say... just "Other Device" with a question mark, and then "Unknown Device" when I expand that.

6. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

7. rbare

rbare Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll check it out.

8. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

well on the question mark follow the tree down in device manager and right click on the lowest level question mark possible and click update then click on search for software automatically if that does not solve the mark then tell me exactly what it says on that specific device e.g. usb bus
    Goodluck

9. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

oh you can also tell us all of your devices listed in device manager maybe we can figure out exactly which one it is like that
    narrowing down the possibilities ya know:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!