1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound "well nearly"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steamwiz, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

A friend of mine has just bought a new computer - XP home edition

The computer has virtualy no sound

I have checked all the settings I can think of

All "volume control" sliders are at the top - no "mute" boxes are ticked

When you preview a sound in "sound properties" you have to hold the speaker to your ear to here the sound

DVD's, CD's will play the graphics - but the sound can only be heard by holding the speaker to your ear ( in DVD player or Media player)

In "device Manager" (sound video and game controllers) "all devices are working properly"

There is no physical volume control button on the monitor

This is a brand new computer - could it simply be the speakers are "duff" (no good)

steam

2. downtime

downtime

Sounds like the speakers have no amp. Do you have a set of amplified speakers you could try? If you plug a headset in the jack, is the volume fine?

3. Miz

Miz

Check to make sure the speakers are plugged into the correct port of the sound card. Should be in the port with the tiny, almost-impossible-to-see picture of a speaker. If it's plugged into "line out," you will often get the symptoms you're experiencing. (Line out on my sound card requires the use of amplified speakers, anyway).

To get the volume control in the system tray, go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, make sure "Place volume control in the taskbar" is checked (and, of course, that "Mute" is not).

4. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

Hi downtime & Miz

I've just been back to the computer in question (armed with my own speakers and amp)

After setting up my own speakers and amp the sound worked fine - I then substituted my speakers for theirs and it still worked ok

I assumed with them not having a seperate amp that it was located inside somewhere - evidently not !

I have told them an amp should have been supplied with their system (I can't see a shop selling a system with sound that doesn't work deliberately) I've advised them to go back to the shop and ask for the amp they should have received.

steam

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!