1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound...Well some sound...Help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by loki50187, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loki50187

loki50187 Thread Starter

I'm running win98. My sound is all messed up. I can hear the windows sounds.( ie. when you right click, hit the start bar, etc etc) It's when i play audio or video files in media player, and when playing games online like on yahoo that i hear nothing. I have no clue what to do. Any ideas. PLEASE HELP.....

2. dr20

dr20

Do you know what your sound card is? If not right click My Computer on the desktop then the Properties. From the System Properties box click the Device Manager tab. Scroll down to Sound, video and game controllers and expand the entry, it should tell you there. Also look and see if there's any yellow question marks in the Device Manager.

3. loki50187

loki50187 Thread Starter

Sound Blaster 16....it says the device is working properly....its so strange.

4. dr20

dr20

5. loki50187

loki50187 Thread Starter

Dang! Nothing....If this helps...2 weeks ago my computer crashes...before it crashed everything was as perfect as it could be...so i managed to get everything back up except for this issue.

6. dr20

dr20

Hi I'm heading out for tonight, I"ll check back tomorrow but did you look to see if in the Mixer nothing is muted and the volume settings are up? Sometimes in a crash that can get affected. It can be found in the Control Panel by clicking on the Multimedia Icon, you'll see it on the top left, there's a Playback and a Recording button. Also make sure the Preferred device is set to your soundcard.

7. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

8. loki50187

loki50187 Thread Starter

nothing is muted...preferred device is set...well this is going to be a challenge...thanks for the help...i'm not giving up yet..i will have sound again!!!!

9. dr20

dr20

Hi there's a few more things you can try:

From Multimedia click the Devices tab and look for your card under Audio Devices. Right click the properties of your card and make sure "use audio features on this device" is checked. It should also tell you on top of the properties box if the driver for the card is installed and active.

Also from Multimedia in both Playback and Recording go to Advanced Properties/Performance tabs and restore defaults to Hardware Acceleration (they're normally all the way to the right on full).

Finally if that doesn't work go to the Start button > Run and type in:

dxdiag

Go through all the tabs and look for any problems in the notes section on the bottom. On the Sound tab do the TestDirectSound, see if you hear anything or if it gives any error messages. Do the same thing with the Music Tab.

If none of those steps work you could have a hardware problem with the card itself. Is it an onboard device or a separate PCI card?

10. Treasurerat

Treasurerat

do you have a cat?.....dont laugh..had the same problem one time..stupid cat ate all of my speaker cables like dental floss.....had to cut /splice and solder the whole dang thing back together....so check your connections and cable's...even a slight puncture can cause you to lose sound

11. loki50187

loki50187 Thread Starter

Problem solved. I can't believe i didn't check sooner...I needed to update DirectX...Thats it...all that stress for somthing so simple...well thanks everyone...Oh and Treasurerat...don't laugh but i swear 2 years ago my cat destroyed my cables...it took me a month to figure the problem.

12. Treasurerat

Treasurerat

good work.....!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice